• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe now or wait for Quad Core

Soldato
Im thinking of going back to the dark side of the force (Intel) in a new MATX setup.

However should i hold off for a while until quad core is around or should i just go for it now? Im unfamiliar with quad core and with a lack of benchies its hard to tell what to do.

I'd personally hold off until the Quad cores make an appearance.

Intel will probably drop the prices of the Conroe as a result of the new CPU release. So if the quad cores are expensive you could pick up a lower priced Conroe.

Yeap would appear Intels quadcore will be very pricey £600+ easily, AMDs soloution may proof similar if not cheaper...

But we will have to wait for offical prices/conroes more then enuff for now but even in 2-3 months time they will be dirt cheap.

GuruJockStrap said:
I'd personally hold off until the Quad cores make an appearance.

Intel will probably drop the prices of the Conroe as a result of the new CPU release. So if the quad cores are expensive you could pick up a lower priced Conroe.

Thats what im doing. Im getting the parts of my new rig that won't depreciate fast now, ie; Case, cooling system, harddrives etc. Then im holding out for Kentsfield and if it proves to be really silly money then i'll pick up a conroe instead.

Yeah I started readin some stuff in custompc and now im thinkin about going quad core, but if its true that its going to make no real difference to games then I wont bother, so are you sure that theres no need for one when it comes to gameplay? Im buying my rig soon and going to just stick with my choice of oc'ing the E6600 and buy an ati x1900 to get me by for a couple of months untill the new ATI DX10 card is released.

messiah khan said:
Nope, but I run 3DS Max a lot more than I play games.

I`m on the same wavelength, i use 3dsmax and some other gfx apps more than i play games, so i will hold out for quad core , i`m using an x2 4400 at the moment and i dont really want to slash out on new kit unless i`m going to see a huge performance boost

JBuk said:
I`m on the same wavelength, i use 3dsmax and some other gfx apps more than i play games, so i will hold out for quad core , i`m using an x2 4400 at the moment and i dont really want to slash out on new kit unless i`m going to see a huge performance boost

Well ive only got a A64 3000 @ 2.4Ghz, so I know for a fact I will see a boost. :)

I'd be interested in seing the performance boost given to 3dsmax.

Quad would also help with dvd encoding, I just dont think anyone needs dvds that quickly unless they running a business. I dont think this chip will be aimed at home users at all.

Papa Lazarou said:
This is an interesting demo of how quad core will be used in games :) http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_3094_en.html

Apart from the bad compression on the video, thats incredibly impressive. Basically showing how a core can be used exclusively to process physics

Last edited:
hmm, apparently though they aint due until Q1 2007.

I may get a conroe now and then upgrade to Quad Core when Vista gets released.

Back
Top Bottom