• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe runs on i865 chipset

welshtom said:
3dmark being a gaming benchmark and all
Seen as I'm totally oblivious, care to explain to me what difference 1000 points would make for example? in comparison to someone elses score? What difference would that make in a game?

Nelly said:
Seen as I'm totally oblivious, care to explain to me what difference 1000 points would make for example? in comparison to someone elses score? What difference would that make in a game?

Well thats relative to the other persons score isnt it... 1000 more could be 10% faster or 50% faster.

Also depends on the game your playing, for example on quake 4 with the dual core patch my 3.6ghz 805 would probably out perform a 3ghz opteron but in HL2 it wouldnt due to lack of dual core optimisations.

Last edited:
Nelly said:
So basically 3D Benchmark is just a way of saying "look at my hardware penis, looks a lot bigger than yours. . . . . "

And being used for its original purpose.

Benchmarking your PC so that you know how well it will stack up in games.

IE. if you get 1k. it wont play games, if you get a high score (use the orb to compare) you know it will run games fairly decently

Tom

Jimbo Mahoney said:
:eek:

At 2.66 Ghz, that conroe gets double what my single core Opty gets @ 3Ghz :eek: (3DMark '06 CPU score)

:D

I'm looking forward to Conroe...

I've managed to get 2068 out of my 4200+ before... albiet it'd probably keel over and die if it were to have pushed it further... but still :D

Nelly said:
So basically 3D Benchmark is just a way of saying "look at my hardware penis, looks a lot bigger than yours. . . . . "

or just a way to measure how much increase you are getting out of your system from stock.

/goes off to XS where people are just get on with clocking

Well I'll be getting a conroe soon after they're released (I'll give it a week or two for prices to settle). That's assuming that AMD don't have some ultra secret competitive chip, but that's extremely unlikely.
Even if the conroes aren't quite as good as the hype suggests, I can't see anything outperforming them in the next 12 months.

Back
Top Bottom