Considering Learning Flutter

Soldato
Hi all, I wrote a few Android apps a few years back, before Kotlin and all went quite well. I have a about three apps I use myself almost daily.

I bought a MacBook and tried learning Swift and just couldn't get on with it.

Recently I tried to update my apps to Google's requirements and a variety of things just wouldn't work (this is literally just updating the deprecated parts, not adding to the apps in any way) and I figure I might be better just starting over again. (Some of my apps are pretty simple)

I then heard about Flutter and wondered if I might be better to learn this and re-write my apps so I can make iOS versions too? (I do own an iPhone, but it's not my daily and I would more want apps in both eco systems just in case I ever wanted to move to a more professional/money making use of app development)

Do 'pro' developers use Flutter or is it too restricted? How simple/easy to use and learn is Flutter? What are your thoughts?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I used Flutter to build a proof of concept app when it was quite new. Just a simple CRUD app for engineer timesheets & expenses.

Given I'd never built anything away from the front-end of the web and never a single page application framework such as React; I managed to get it up and running pretty well and talking to an API plus local SQL storage. There were some quirks but I think my issues were mostly my inexperience.

I haven't looked at it since and dont know how well it's thought of but it is a state controlled framework like many others so teaches you some transferable skills for say React Native etc. The fact it compiles to native apps is nice and easily done.

Best way to see how well it's used is to look into jobs for it, is there a market for Flutter Devs? Usually a tell tale sign.

Soldato
I've been thinking of learning Flutter myself. I really want to get into Android development but the whole Android Studio and Java thing confused me a bit and the documentation seems to be a little poorly organised (or I am rubbish at finding what I want). The only thing that stopped me from installing Flutter on my machine to start learning is that I believe the official way to install it on Linux is to use snap which I hate with a passion and refuse to install on my OpenSUSE LEAP box. I've just downloaded Android Studio again and I'm going to try and learn it for real this time as I have a specific app in mind rather than just learning for the hell of it.

What operating system do you use for development if you don't mind me asking? I use Linux but have a Windows 10 Pro virtual machine for Microsoft Office and other Windows-only stuff.

Soldato
OP
I really want to get into Android development

My recommendation would be learn Java first, or at least some of it. Then move into Android. If you use Udemy, I can link a couple of good courses.

What operating system do you use for development

Usually Windows 10. I have a MacBook Pro, but have only coded on it in an emergency.

Soldato
My recommendation would be learn Java first, or at least some of it. Then move into Android. If you use Udemy, I can link a couple of good courses.

Sorry for the late reply. I completely forgot about this thread. I've done some reading on Android development and I was under the impression that Kotlin is the hot new thing in the Android space? I did use Java about 5 years ago but I've forgotten everything I knew about it. I've kind of avoided Java since Oracle bought Sun.

Anyway if you could link those Udemy courses I'd really appreciate it. Udemy seems to have a sale pretty often so I'll pick them up on the next sale.

Soldato
OP
I've done some reading on Android development and I was under the impression that Kotlin is the hot new thing in the Android space?

Tbf, you're completely right. You probably should look for a Kotlin course.

Two of the better Android courses I did were -

https://www.udemy.com/course/complete-android-n-developer-course/learn/

https://www.udemy.com/course/android-tutorial-for-beginners/learn/

But they aren't Kotlin. If Rob Percival has a Kotlin course, that would be a fairly safe bet.

Soldato
Associate
Sorry for the late reply. I completely forgot about this thread. I've done some reading on Android development and I was under the impression that Kotlin is the hot new thing in the Android space? I did use Java about 5 years ago but I've forgotten everything I knew about it. I've kind of avoided Java since Oracle bought Sun.

Anyway if you could link those Udemy courses I'd really appreciate it. Udemy seems to have a sale pretty often so I'll pick them up on the next sale.

Udemy is a permanent sale, they just use cookies to trick you into thinking it's not. If you use incognito mode you'll see the sale prices will re-appear. Sometimes doesn't let you checkout if you already have an account but if you try a different device/search the internet for a promo code you'll be able to avoid paying full price.

Soldato
Udemy is a permanent sale, they just use cookies to trick you into thinking it's not. If you use incognito mode you'll see the sale prices will re-appear. Sometimes doesn't let you checkout if you already have an account but if you try a different device/search the internet for a promo code you'll be able to avoid paying full price.

Oh, I see. That would be illegal in the UK. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom