Considering moving from iOS to Android

Associate
Hey Folks,

Been an apple user for decades and had an iPhone since 1st generation.

I found myself this year growing frustrated with Apple's progress on both their laptops and iPhone. Let alone the price increases and capability reduction.

I am considering moving to Android flagships and wondered if anyone can share their experiences or thoughts on moving over?

I have no experience of android what so ever.

Thanks

Associate
I did the same this year. Moved from an iPhone 6 Plus ( had been using it for 3 years and had been an iPhone user since first gen). To a note 8. Still loving it and finding new things a month later.

Even something as simple as being able to change icon thumbnails is extremely pleasing.

There' s a whole host of things you can do above and beyond iOS limitations. My advice would be to check out some vids on YouTube.

Soldato
Hey Folks,

Been an apple user for decades and had an iPhone since 1st generation.

I found myself this year growing frustrated with Apple's progress on both their laptops and iPhone. Let alone the price increases and capability reduction.

I am considering moving to Android flagships and wondered if anyone can share their experiences or thoughts on moving over?

I have no experience of android what so ever.

Thanks

Don't need a flagship phone, try a £150 Motorola. It's as good as phone as you will need.

Good thing about Android is you can tweak how you like, between rooting, custom firmware/ROM's, launchers, what application is loaded when you select a file, alter number of icons, shortcuts, folders etc.

Associate
OP
Thank you, I am attracted for the hardware seems ahead of apple now.

I was more wondering on experiences of moving from iOS to Android and how much of pain it is etc?

Soldato
I have been an iPhone user for 8 years and made the move yesterday for the very same reasons as the OP. I went for the Samsung S8 and so far I am very impressed with the phone. The screen is amazing and the form factor is very nice in the hand.

As for the os it's early days, there's a bit of a learning curve as somethings are different but there is also some nice features that are not on the iPhone.

Soldato
It varies from person to person, my uncle and aunt tried by moving to Samsung but the Samsung UI was too complicated for them so after a year they moved back to iPhones. Another uncle who has had every iPhone since the beginning tried Xiaomi and said the experience was very similar to iOS and he loves it.

Stock Android like the Pixel/Moto/Nokia is pretty simple to use as well, so worth giving them a try.

Soldato
Just bare in mind, starting at the budget end you're going to have compromises here and there that you might not be used to with iOS (I would imagine). I would suggest a decent condition second hand device around £300 would be a good idea. I think last years Pixels are down around £400 aren't they? That would be a great place to start. Mind you, you did say you're looking at Flagships, so I guess S8 is a good place to take a look. Maybe a OnePlus 5 or Honor 9 too?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
One thing to consider is other Apple products you may have and if you use the continuation and integration features.
For example I have tried the same and absolutely missed receiving text messages on my iPad and MacBook Pro on Android. Simply things like sharing links too, and also the IOS Photos app.
Moving photos to Google can be done but then a pain to have to mess around syncing from other devices from Apple.

P.S I have since found Pushbullet that I believe does mitigate some of the continuation problems, although not actually tested.

Soldato
I use Android on phone and iOS on tablet. Never have any issues moving from one to the other.

One thing I do like is being able to set Chrome as the default browser so when I click on a link in an email it opens that instead of stupid Safari.

Soldato
You'll most likely be fine. My wife switched from IOS to Android about a year ago because she was sick of IOS and devices slowing down all the time on her iPhone and iPads.
She loved the move because she could now use google photos and have her entire album collections on that - she's always been a fan of how google makes movies for you when you take a lot of footage at events. Her favourite feature was androids numerous fast charging devices and itents system.

Caporegime
I was an Apple fanboy in the past from first gen launch day, until I won a Samsung Twitter competition for an S3. I've never looked back since. It took a few hours adjusting, but once I did and realised I could customise pretty much anything instead of being left with that awful clutter on iOS, it was awesome. :) The flagship Android phones you'll find now are better than anything Apple has put out.

It varies from person to person, my uncle and aunt tried by moving to Samsung but the Samsung UI was too complicated for them so after a year they moved back to iPhones. Another uncle who has had every iPhone since the beginning tried Xiaomi and said the experience was very similar to iOS and he loves it.

This really, as iOS vs Android is a subjective debate. Perhaps the OP could borrow a spare Android phone before committing?

Also, it depends on how heavily invested you are in Apple's app store in £££, as you'll have start over if going Android.

Associate
I've gone back and forth between the two a few times, android always wins because of it's versatility and customization. Dealing with files on-device is considerably easier and not being tied to a parent PC means I've gathered a colossal amount of wallpapers, mp3s etc from various devices. iOS is very good but also just 'closed' enough to be a nuisance.

Soldato
I'd advice going for a phone that runs stock or near stock Android. So a Pixel, Nokia, Oneplus or HTC. Some manufacturers put a really heavy skin on Android which isn't needed and I honestly think this put some adopters off.

Soldato
Well its been just under two weeks since I made the jump from an iPhone to the Samsung S8 and I am so pleased I did. Changing OS has made the phone really feel like a new upgrade rather than and evolution of what I already had which is what I have gotten with previous iPhone upgrades.

I was very concerned about leaving iOS and jumping over to android due to familiarity of iOS and hearing horror stories of things just not being as good but I am pleased to find out this is not true. There seems to be loads of little things which I have been discovering on this phone which I never had on the iPhone which is making it a joy to use, plus the display really is superb.

Overall I am really pleased I went for this phone and wish I hadn't deliberated for so long. For those that are in the same boat and are thinking of trying out Android that are coming from an iPhone, I would say do it and give yourself a week or so to fully setting in and explore the phone/OS properly.

Back
Top Bottom