Considering this build for gaming PC any advice please

Soldato
@Plec, well, yes....I'm not too sure why he didn't just use a series of bean cans glued together...or an orange box :D
It's OK, he's been around the block and knows what he's doing - he's just lacking time, sleep and energy (kids).

Once he's got access to a 3D printer, and the rest of his parts, it will transform from a hybrid of components into the equivalent of an ATX Tardis.

It's real project name is 'Square Peg, Round Hole' - @orbitalwalsh just hasn't officially adopted it yet :D

Associate
OP
Hmmmm damn, now I have another dilemma, during my search I have been reading quite a few reports of the AMD Ryzen 3000 series chips being very finnicky about what RAM they will work with, to the point that people have bought new MoBo's RAM etc only to find that the MoBo will not POST. It seems to cause quite a bit of grief with returning ram chips and trial and error to get ones that work. Is the Ryzen 3900 really worth all that trouble or would the Intel i9 be a much safer bet?

Soldato
Hmmmm damn, now I have another dilemma, during my search I have been reading quite a few reports of the AMD Ryzen 3000 series chips being very finnicky about what RAM they will work with, to the point that people have bought new MoBo's RAM etc only to find that the MoBo will not POST. It seems to cause quite a bit of grief with returning ram chips and trial and error to get ones that work. Is the Ryzen 3900 really worth all that trouble or would the Intel i9 be a much safer bet?
Ram issues were quite common on the previous gen chips but it's very rare to have issues now. If you want to be certain then grab something off the motherboard qvl or buy Samsung b-die ram.

Associate
OP
it's the QVL stuff on the X570 that I've been reading about on this forum. Someone enable XMP and the motherboard refused to POST afterwards. It seemed to be a recurring theme.

Soldato
it's the QVL stuff on the X570 that I've been reading about on this forum. Someone enable XMP and the motherboard refused to POST afterwards. It seemed to be a recurring theme.
There's always going to be someone who has problems, it's probably the same with Intel it's just that with amd outselling Intel like 5-1 there will be more people having problems with amd.

Soldato
Most mobo makers update QVLs hardly ever.
So plenty of new perfectly working memories can appear without any sighting in those lists.
Basically exactly same hardware can appear under multiple colours and names.

While on the other hand there's no quarantee that maker of some basic level memories won't change used DRAM chips into something else marginally working.
Heck, Corsair's kit in this thread even had vastly different DIMMs in it and it might be down to horoscopes and positions of planets how well that works:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ram-query-bsods-windows-10.18878193/

"Buildzoid" took memories apart quite thoroughly in this:

Soldato
@EsaT is right.. For Mobo and Ram rendors to get QVL updated is a MASSIVE UNDERTAKING .

Just picture one Person having to Test 1 stick up to 4 of One vendors 3000hz ram . thats already 4 tests and most vendors have about 3/6 models or version tweaks over its lifespan. Then you've got to test it will current 2-16 core CPUs. And then remembering school maths/science experiments you'll want to do this min 3 times with good 4 hours stress testing .

and even corsair acknowledge its they use so many different IC and will swap around to what ever makes profile at that Quarter

Soldato
I brought ram that wasnt on the QVL and never had any issues. I did my research and went with binned B-die as I wanted to get the most out of my ram and also if the new zen 3 chips comming later this year are able to run a higher than 1900 fclk and increase ram speeds to like 4000+ i would be covered.

Soldato
I believe correct word is insane...
Or at least that would be the likely mental state of people having to do testing after few months and new BIOSes.

also got vendors differing opinions - ASUS go for 2 dim testing over 4, and for a while dominated RAM overclocking with MSI on par and Gigabyte testing full 4 dim population more - in the thinking its better for long run then who's fastest game.
I brought ram that wasnt on the QVL and never had any issues. I did my research and went with binned B-die as I wanted to get the most out of my ram and also if the new zen 3 chips comming later this year are able to run a higher than 1900 fclk and increase ram speeds to like 4000+ i would be covered.

sure IC from samsung are due a Die shrink which will help hopefully (for future Zen buyers)

Soldato
sure IC from samsung are due a Die shrink which will help hopefully (for future Zen buyers)
Newer DRAM chips are primarily designed to make them cheaper to make, not better.
B-die might be actually Samsung's oldest DDR4 in volume production with its old 20nm manufacturing node.

Associate
OP
OK, so now the fun begins, I have pushed the buy button on the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,167.11 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

So hopefully now I will be able to play Windows 10 Solitair at full resolution :D

On the subject of Windows 10, somewhere, while trawling these halls of encyclopaedic information, I caught a glimpse of someone saying "get windows 10 for a couple of quid from you know where" If anyone can help me with the WHERE part of that could you message me please?

All the best
Bob

Back
Top Bottom