Console advice

Associate
A mate of mine is on the market for a console, his daughter (9 years old) has asked for one for Christmas. In turn he knows I game and wants to know which to get her. I initially mentioned the Xbox Series | S, obviously if he can get his hands on one. However he has just emailed me and informed me he has been into GAME near him and the bloke in store suggested the Xbox One S. As far as I can see that costs the same as the new Gen, surely would be better off getting the newer gen over the One S? I appreciate the New gen S is digital only but can't help but think newer gen would be the better option.

Anyway I feel a little out of my depth advising for his daughter as I don't have kids and I always have a bit of a tendency to go for the higher end version of tech. But would people agree the One S is a good buy or the Xbox Series | S?

Cheers

B

Soldato
A mate of mine is on the market for a console, his daughter (9 years old) has asked for one for Christmas. In turn he knows I game and wants to know which to get her. I initially mentioned the Xbox Series | S, obviously if he can get his hands on one. However he has just emailed me and informed me he has been into GAME near him and the bloke in store suggested the Xbox One S. As far as I can see that costs the same as the new Gen, surely would be better off getting the newer gen over the One S? I appreciate the New gen S is digital only but can't help but think newer gen would be the better option.

Anyway I feel a little out of my depth advising for his daughter as I don't have kids and I always have a bit of a tendency to go for the higher end version of tech. But would people agree the One S is a good buy or the Xbox Series | S?

Cheers

B

The new series S would be better for future proofing for sure. The issue is, getting on. Stock isn't around at the moment.

I guess it depends on what they are going to play really. If they are going to play fortnite, Minecraft etc... Then the older Xbox One S or PS4 might be better, and you can get them fairly easy too!

Associate
OP
The new series S would be better for future proofing for sure. The issue is, getting on. Stock isn't around at the moment.

I guess it depends on what they are going to play really. If they are going to play fortnite, Minecraft etc... Then the older Xbox One S or PS4 might be better, and you can get them fairly easy too!

Yeah I was thinking the same, I mean you are going to be paying the same price for either as think game are knocking them out at £250? at the moment. Also as you say availability is going to be touch and go
for a while. I wanted the Series X for my birthday in December. Guess will have to see how that pans out.

As far as I know ROBLOX Minecraft and fortnight was mentioned. Yeah I will suggest he gets the One S I think. It has larger storage and the drive may be useful if they have DVD's. I just thought they might have dropped in price.

Thanks for your advice mate.

Soldato
Yeah I was thinking the same, I mean you are going to be paying the same price for either as think game are knocking them out at £250? at the moment. Also as you say availability is going to be touch and go
for a while. I wanted the Series X for my birthday in December. Guess will have to see how that pans out.

As far as I know ROBLOX Minecraft and fortnight was mentioned. Yeah I will suggest he gets the One S I think. It has larger storage and the drive may be useful if they have DVD's. I just thought they might have dropped in price.

Thanks for your advice mate.

No problem. :)

Yeah that is what I would do.

Associate
OP
I would go for the switch over an Xbox for the portability and bigger pool of games suitable for the child’s age.

Will mention it to him mate as it is something they might not have considered but the little one asked for an xbox, could avoid a potential christmas day meltdown if he sticks to the plan.

Soldato
The other issue with the Series S is that it's digital only, so there goes the chance of cheap second hand games that kids can actually afford.

I doubt either a 9yr old or your friend wants to deal with buying direct from MS for £60 a game, or hunting out decent prices on cd-keys etc.

Although as mentioned above, there's not a huge range of family/kids games as there is on the Switch.

Associate
OP
The other issue with the Series S is that it's digital only, so there goes the chance of cheap second hand games that kids can actually afford.

I doubt either a 9yr old or your friend wants to deal with buying direct from MS for £60 a game, or hunting out decent prices on cd-keys etc.

Although as mentioned above, there's not a huge range of family/kids games as there is on the Switch.

Yeah that is a valid point for sure. I mentioned switch as an option to him, I have also mentioned it is digital only so it is down to him to decide now I guess.

Soldato

The amount of hours that go into developing games these days is huge so i think £60 is good for the value for the amount of hours entertainment they give.

Soldato
If you're worried about getting cheap games, Switch ain't it!

I bought a One S for my then-9 yr old last Xmas. Sign up for Ultimate Games for about £100 for 3 years (buying Gold then upgrading it all for one month's payment of Ultimate), and you've got almost all the games they'll need.

Prices on them last year were lower from the European Amazons. Got mine from .de for about £150 including Jedi:Fallen Order. UK Amazon took its price down a lot (maybe as low as £150-160 ish) on black Friday iirc.

Soldato
Series S for sure imo, game pass is massive deal plus your on newer tech

I certainly would not be buying a One S brand new now, if you get a deal on a used one fair enough but when it's costing same as a series s new I don't see it as a good deal at all

Soldato
What about old school stuff, 360/PS3/Wii U? Obviously isn't new but there's a whole host of games to play. Depends on whether the daughter has any gaming experience or if this is her first console.

The initial cost for series s plus membership could be £350. And if she is just playing Fortnite and 2-3 other games I'd be thinking again about spending all that.

Soldato

Game Pass sorts this issue easily enough.

I'd definitely go Series S. I think it's criminal that the One S is priced at £250. They're clearly cashing in on lack of next gen stock. I paid £220 for my One S on 2018 and it came with five games brand new. £250 is ridiculous.

Also, the Switch is definitely a good shout too. The indie games are cheap on the store. I picked up Stardew Valley for £12 and I've had about 250 hours out of it so far. You can also play Fortnite and I think it supports cross play so if she's just after something like that to play with her friends and has asked for an Xbox for that reason, the Switch would still do the job. Plus it's portable!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Game Pass sorts this issue easily enough.

I'd definitely go Series S. I think it's criminal that the One S is priced at £250. They're clearly cashing in on lack of next gen stock. I paid £220 for my One S on 2018 and it came with five games brand new. £250 is ridiculous.

Also, the Switch is definitely a good shout too. The indie games are cheap on the store. I picked up Stardew Valley for £12 and I've had about 250 hours out of it so far. You can also play Fortnite and I think it supports cross play so if she's just after something like that to play with her friends and has asked for an Xbox for that reason, the Switch would still do the job. Plus it's portable!

Agree with everything you have said mate, shocked at the prices of the One S currently. Anyway he was unable to secure a Series S so had to opt for one in the end. Just so he has it, IF any stock becomes available between now and Christmas he can always return the unit.

Big thanks for everyone's input

Associate
A 9 year old girl, never done gaming, Xbox or PS aint it, don't think like a hardcore gamer or long time gamer, think like a 9 year who doesn't even have parents that game. Additionally there is more choice for a 9 year odl boy than girl

Nintendo switch has to be it, can be used as a Handheld which eases pressure on the TV, they may not have a set up for consoles available, my 10 year old does not have a tv in his room so Handheld really helps.

Loads of game, especially which will suit the daughter, animal crossing and teh Nintendo exclusives work really well on the younger generation.

Also you can actually get on, no way would I be buying the current Xbox generation Series S would be the sweeet spot but chances of getting them are non existent at the moment. Switch all day long.

Back
Top Bottom