• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Console Converts

Man of Honour
I really like RTS games like total war and paradox titles such as crusader kings 3 to give up pc gaming. I have a switch gathering dust, but saying that I will be getting a Xbox series X as I saw my brothers and couldn't believe how close it is to a pc in terms of graphics.
I will upgrade my pc but not for a few years as I think RTS games I play won't be too demanding for a while and the Xbox will be fine for other games.

Pretty much all I’d use my PC for now, but there aren’t even many RTS games I want to play anymore.

Ditched my PC over a year ago after many failed attempts buying a GPU and the ridiculous prices. Invested in an XSX which I managed to get within a couple of weeks even a year ago. It's on my desk plugged into a 1440p monitor and it just works flawlessly.

This is after over 20 years of being a diehard PC gamer.

I won't be getting a gaming pc anytime soon they are a rip off, I might get an OLED TV and I might get a PS5 for PSVR2 and the exclusives I've missed out on but for now gamepass has everything I need for gaming on the Xbox

PSVR2 will be a definite purchase for me down the line.

Permabanned
The latest console I own is a One X so my 3070 PC is clearly a big step up, I cancelled my XBOX gamepass subscription for both systems though.

Been enjoying Batman Arkham Knight Maxed out in 4K DSR at 60+ FPS solid. Not possible on the One X and it is visually compromised with no Nvidia Gameworks stuff.

Associate
I’ve been researching a new pc for weeks and have specced out a £1700 mid tier system but yesterday played on my brother in laws Xbox series x and I have to say I was impressed with how good it was and also how quiet compared to my aircraft of an original ps4! I’m now back on the face of keeping my i5-6600k/1660 going for another 18 months and plumping for a new console which are in stock at Amazon…..help me Obi-Wan etc

Soldato
I’ve been researching a new pc for weeks and have specced out a £1700 mid tier system but yesterday played on my brother in laws Xbox series x and I have to say I was impressed with how good it was and also how quiet compared to my aircraft of an original ps4! I’m now back on the face of keeping my i5-6600k/1660 going for another 18 months and plumping for a new console which are in stock at Amazon…..help me Obi-Wan etc
Doesn't have to be 18 months, and also £1700 is too much if you just want to surpass the consoles. It's about 4-5 months until we get the new GPUs, and in that budget they will blow away consoles many times over (4070 ~£499), and then we also have new CPUs releasing in that timeframe but the budget versions are more likely to drop in Q1 2023, so about 6-7 months for that (though here we might make the case that buying a 5800X3D is already best performance for gaming within a reasonable budget and might not change with the new releases (speculation on my part)). The real question is about your framerate & settings target. If you want to blast ray tracing and keep 60 fps locked then that's achievable on a budget without any real stress, but if you want 120 fps, then that's when the trouble starts & costs mount up a lot.

Let me give you an example, I want to upgrade my CPU for a 120 fps target (because I will always use a TV as a display and that's its refresh rate) in general, but particularly with all the RT on in Cyberpunk and that means nothing outside of a 12900K will really suffice (and even that wouldn't actually be enough), which would put me at an easy £800 spend on just CPU+Mobo. If I wanted 120 fps but without RT then even a 12600K would do well enough and in that same ballpark, but now at half the spend ~£400. And if we go for a 60 fps target then you can even make do with a 5600x/12400 which means closer to £300.

In fact, quickly speccing a new PC now, without a GPU, that would be very good gets you to <£620 (will not link full prices & shops as that's against the forum rules and this is just to give an example anyway). And then you can spend to your hearts content on a GPU later in the year, though I'd wager the 4070 will end up having the best value and that will be £500-£600. That's a far cry from £1700, but ofc it's easy to spend more. And mind you this will absolutely roflstomp anything the consoles can do and likely even surpass the expected Pro versions.

nUscnsI.jpg.png

Soldato
Doesn't have to be 18 months, and also £1700 is too much if you just want to surpass the consoles. It's about 4-5 months until we get the new GPUs, and in that budget they will blow away consoles many times over (4070 ~£499), and then we also have new CPUs releasing in that timeframe but the budget versions are more likely to drop in Q1 2023, so about 6-7 months for that (though here we might make the case that buying a 5800X3D is already best performance for gaming within a reasonable budget and might not change with the new releases (speculation on my part)). The real question is about your framerate & settings target. If you want to blast ray tracing and keep 60 fps locked then that's achievable on a budget without any real stress, but if you want 120 fps, then that's when the trouble starts & costs mount up a lot.

Let me give you an example, I want to upgrade my CPU for a 120 fps target (because I will always use a TV as a display and that's its refresh rate) in general, but particularly with all the RT on in Cyberpunk and that means nothing outside of a 12900K will really suffice (and even that wouldn't actually be enough), which would put me at an easy £800 spend on just CPU+Mobo. If I wanted 120 fps but without RT then even a 12600K would do well enough and in that same ballpark, but now at half the spend ~£400. And if we go for a 60 fps target then you can even make do with a 5600x/12400 which means closer to £300.

In fact, quickly speccing a new PC now, without a GPU, that would be very good gets you to <£620 (will not link full prices & shops as that's against the forum rules and this is just to give an example anyway). And then you can spend to your hearts content on a GPU later in the year, though I'd wager the 4070 will end up having the best value and that will be £500-£600. That's a far cry from £1700, but ofc it's easy to spend more. And mind you this will absolutely roflstomp anything the consoles can do and likely even surpass the expected Pro versions.

nUscnsI.jpg.png
What a revelation. Something you build 2 years after the release of a series x and for 3 times the price should be able "roflstomp" (really? This word?) it.

Your posts make for some funny reading. You really take framerates to heart eh?

Soldato
I use both.
PC - main gaming setup, supported by a laptop and Steam Deck for when I don't want to be stuck at a desk.
Series X - Multiplayer games and more chilled games like Forza Horizon.
PS5 - Exclusives

Soldato
I ended up going the other way. I lost love of couch gaming and much prefer gaming in my office with a screen much closer to me.

Sold the PS5 after getting a 6900XT.
I am the opposite because of wfh I think.

I prefer and have much more time for gaming at my TV with Xbox Series X than my desk.

Soldato
I don't see what couch vs desk has to do with console vs PC because you could couch game with a PC and a controller. You could also connect a console to your office monitor and game at your desk.

Soldato
I don't see what couch vs desk has to do with console vs PC because you could couch game with a PC and a controller. You could also connect a console to your office monitor and game at your desk.
This is just where they are. I use my pc for work and it is at my desk. I perhaps have desk & monitor fatigue.

I used to have an rtx 3080 htpc on my TV but not any more.

Back
Top Bottom