Console to PC

Associate
Looking at getting a pc after being away for maybe 10yrs! Can you check this out to make sure if not miss matched anything or advice on alternatives for around a Similar price.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £912.54 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Will more than likely just be downloading from Steam for games... So not bothered about dvd drive.

Thanks Neil

Man of Honour
i would drop the hdd and get a big ssd initially. the ssd would give a nice boost to system responsiveness, windows and game load times which are very perceptible compared to a hdd.
it's easier to add hdd in the future, than to add an ssd (then need to reinstall/clone windows and progs onto the ssd from the hdd).

my 2p. (i wouldn't build any computer these days without an ssd boot/progs/games drive)

the rest looks solid. you've been doing your homework :p
but i'd also probably suggest adding at least an extra fan as the case only comes with one.

Man of Honour
also to add, i wouldn't get windows from OCUK. their prices are extremely uncompetitive.
it's easily cheaper (legit key) elsewhere - to the tune of £25 - with a quick google
(i won't go into grey keys)

Associate
If you aren't going to have a huge game library from the get-go, it makes more sense to spend your storage money on a 250GB SSD rather than a 2TB HDD, and then later on as your library grows, add the 2TB HDD at that point. Or if money allows, buy both at once, but definitely start with the SSD. Running Windows off a spinning drive is pain. It really is. You don't have to get a fancy SSD, just get a half decent SATA model. It's good enough. The difference in OS responsiveness is very significant.

Go with a Gigabyte GPU. Warranty service is terrific. Worth it. Somebody else mentioned this.

Also the power supply you've chosen is a bit crud. It's not going to explode or anything but there are better options for not a whole lot more money. I'll let somebody who knows more than me chime in but I know the Superflower Golden Green power supplies don't cost a whole lot more than your EVGA unit and are better bang for the buck. Higher efficiency too which means a lower power bill over time.

BTW I'm not telling you not to build a PC right now. This is more of a public service announcement. RAM and GPU prices are anywhere between 50-100% inflated right now due to various factors. SSD prices are slightly inflated as well. Just so you know.

Soldato
Went slightly different for a change, though the above with Aorus gtx 1060 is a power house !

Just felt that pricing, specially of middle range cards is getting way over priced ! Hard to justify it over a console.
So, I dropped the 6GB 1060 for gtx 1050Ti 4GB, still handle games at 1080p, just not as fast or in areas as pretty as it but took the least pricing hike .
With the funds diverted to features/parts that will remain longer as well as make it look prettier as cases normally last a good 10 years or so. The evolv mATX is a master class, have one myself . 16GB of ram to last longer as well as nice good RGB cooler to push 3.9ghz (fingers crossed) , 500GB SSD and a solid PSU that can handle next gen or gen after middle-high tier GPU ...

Again the above build is solid with gtx 1060 and will get you the max detail and frames on a 1080p monitor , 60+ FPS in most cases.

Total: £1,005.49 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Soldato
Evolve doesn't have good airflow. 3/10 wouldn't recommend :p
Definitely not worth the £100 asking price.

matx TG version isn't to bad, corrected issues the others had bar the top - then again I do use 3x Silent wing at 100% so flow and noise isn't can issue- cash is hahaha
and visually - best case i've had, and i do love my jonsbo cases :D

to be honest, I did look at nzxt h400 but to many pennies

Soldato
Surprised you didn't spec the be quiet pb600. More vfm
true, does look a little big when used with a mATX board haha - though the evolv matx actually is roughly the same height i think due to being able to house thicker rads .

raijinteks ones is damn small due to having PSU at the front, bu shame the matx version has weak small window unlike the atx version which is double glass for not much more :(

few friends going from consoles really dont like the big ATX bases compared to ps4 pro - though if i could either keep it small, or damn pretty! haha

Soldato
Yeah, I'd go with the gaming 3 ATX board if speccing with the pb600

mmm its on sale... a price that it should have been from release IMO

Total: £1,001.01 (includes shipping: £13.20)

plus having rgb headers.. had to use Cooler master control box to get the thing glowing like a hazard site
and way to many cable and cable length on show using a smaller board :(
PToxoks.jpg

Associate
OP
Wow lots of solid advice there guys most appreciated!

If xbox had proper mouse and keyboard support... I probably wouldnt go down the pc route! I just hate using controllers on fps games. Lets be honest too there never seems to be a good time to buy pc components..... There always seems to be something just around the corner to hold off on buying.

Permabanned
Wow lots of solid advice there guys most appreciated!

If xbox had proper mouse and keyboard support... I probably wouldnt go down the pc route! I just hate using controllers on fps games. Lets be honest too there never seems to be a good time to buy pc components..... There always seems to be something just around the corner to hold off on buying.

Read on here the other day k/board and mouse support is coming to Xbox though?

With a new AMD CPU and NVidia cards on the horizon coupled with the ridiculous current gfx card costs not to mention ram pricing it's worth waiting a bit unless you're desperate.

Back
Top Bottom