Constant blue screen crash- posting here as I THINK it's software?

Associate
So for the last few days I've been getting a blue screen crash and reset a couple of times a day- only whilst playing Destiny 2. I play No Mans Sky, hearthstone, valheim, various other games. Nothing. It's always during Destiny, and tbh, never during any chaotic shooting or fights...it's in a menu. Not the same menu, I could be looking at a map, or my inventory, but never mid fight. It isn't overheating as I've checked regularly and it goes between 60 to 80. NMS plays higher than Destiny does.

I did a reliability check and got the following, not sure if it helps-

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffff978c03098028, 0x00000000b2000000, 0x0000000000030005). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 6499742a-3a5e-4522-b6d7-5aaaf58dfbe9.

The only thing I can think of is MAYBE it started around the time nvidia did their last driver update, has anyone else noticed issues appearing since then? I don't know if it's related at all or if I have my days wrong. It's pretty frustrating.

Associate
How strong is your PSU? It could be underpowered. See if the menu crashes at a lower resolution, with less work to do possibly if v-sync is enabled. The Valhiem menu makes my GFX fans ramp up to max.
If there's anything in your case you're not using you could unplug it to see if that helps (hdd/dvd/usb devices), or turn off hardware you're not using on your motherboard in the bios.

Man of Honour
IIRC 124 is often caused by not enough "northbridge"/RAM controller voltage for the operating conditions and/or incorrect RAM settings but I'd have to double check that it has been awhile. It is almost always a CPU related (usually "uncore" related parts) BSOD though it can be caused by overheating, etc.

Associate
Theres so many things it could be. I've had this before with memory that started to die, you can take one stick out and see if the problem goes away, repeat with the other sticks. Even reseating your memory or gfx a few times can fix things if there wasn't a good contact.

Man of Honour
Theres so many things it could be. I've had this before with memory that started to die, you can take one stick out and see if the problem goes away, repeat with the other sticks. Even reseating your memory or gfx a few times can fix things if there wasn't a good contact.

I had one awhile back - trying to diagnose a BSOD on a machine - only by pure chance I found it was caused by the dust filter on the PSU vent - still don't know really why but 100% reproducible remove it system stable as a rock, put it back on constant BSODs.

Didn't seem to unduly reduce air flow, no difference to any measurable temperatures. It was a magnetic one so chance it was interfering with something in the PSU but I can't really see that being the case.

Soldato
IIRC 124 is often caused by not enough "northbridge"/RAM controller voltage for the operating conditions and/or incorrect RAM settings but I'd have to double check that it has been awhile. It is almost always a CPU related (usually "uncore" related parts) BSOD though it can be caused by overheating, etc.

God has spoken lol...:D:D:D

Associate
OP
update- not sure how coincidental it is but, I tested a theory to see if it was simple and I've gone from crashing twice a day playing it, to not crashing in 2 days. I noticed from the reliability report it started the day after nvidia released a new driver update, so I rolled back to the one before and it hasn't done it since. so...fingers crossed, it seemed that simple. I'll hold off on updating the card for a while I guess! thanks all anyway.

Man of Honour
update- not sure how coincidental it is but, I tested a theory to see if it was simple and I've gone from crashing twice a day playing it, to not crashing in 2 days. I noticed from the reliability report it started the day after nvidia released a new driver update, so I rolled back to the one before and it hasn't done it since. so...fingers crossed, it seemed that simple. I'll hold off on updating the card for a while I guess! thanks all anyway.

The GPU driver can be one of the most real time intensive parts of the system - which means it can expose edge case stability problems both in the underlying hardware (and not actually a driver/software issue) or can expose edge case stability issues in the driver/software.

What are your hardware specs BTW? on older Intel systems a 124 STOP could be caused due to some relationship between IMC, VTT (VCCSA) and VCORE voltages which had to be within a certain range of each other for some reason I don't think Intel ever explained the rules of (don't think it is true on 7 series or newer but not 100% on that).

EDIT: Not unusual in these cases to never get to the root of it and just have to avoid certain driver versions where it happens.

Associate
OP
The GPU driver can be one of the most real time intensive parts of the system - which means it can expose edge case stability problems both in the underlying hardware (and not actually a driver/software issue) or can expose edge case stability issues in the driver/software.

What are your hardware specs BTW? on older Intel systems a 124 STOP could be caused due to some relationship between IMC, VTT (VCCSA) and VCORE voltages which had to be within a certain range of each other for some reason I don't think Intel ever explained the rules of (don't think it is true on 7 series or newer but not 100% on that).

EDIT: Not unusual in these cases to never get to the root of it and just have to avoid certain driver versions where it happens.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
32.0 GB
Nvidia geforce gtx 1650

Soldato
Change one (and only one) thing at a time if it comes back. Start buy turning off any overclocks > updating drivers > bios. Then look at hardware swapping and eliminating.

Back
Top Bottom