Constant Voltage and CPU Degradation ?

Soldato
I have my VCORE set to a constant 1.30v with a 4.50GHz OC on my 5930K using a multi of 36 and a bus speed of 125, The reason I have it set to constant/manual, Instead of adaptive is that for some odd reason my 3000MHz memory will only do a max of 2400MHz when adaptive voltage is enabled but when set to manual it does the full 3000MHz but only if the multiplier is set to 36 instead of 45 and bus speed to 125 instead of 100.

My question is, How much does manual/constant voltage damage a CPU's life span ?

I know as CPU's get older you need to tweak voltage but is manual ok to use at 1.30v for 24/7 usage on a 5930K ?

Associate
there isn't any statistics for that so I can't say for sure. But my 5820K has been running for around 10 months at 4.5Ghz 1.22v, it passed Realbench with only 1.19v but sometimes crashed in games so I pumped it up a little. Currently, it refuses to run at default setting with auto voltage and auto multiplier, only runs well when overclocked. I guess it is a form of degradation?

Soldato
If you're applying 3000Mhz with XMP, this will default to 125 strap. I replied to you on ROG regarding this...

Adaptive does not work on anything other than 100 strap.

As for life span, you likely won't notice any notable difference for the time you own the CPU, as long as you're not hammering it with Prime.

abui1806;30492822 said:
there isn't any statistics for that so I can't say for sure. But my 5820K has been running for around 10 months at 4.5Ghz 1.22v, it passed Realbench with only 1.19v but sometimes crashed in games so I pumped it up a little. Currently, it refuses to run at default setting with auto voltage and auto multiplier, only runs well when overclocked. I guess it is a form of degradation?

At that voltage, not likely. Was probably never completely stable to begin with, or something else at play.

Soldato
OP
Silent_Scone;30492864 said:
If you're applying 3000Mhz with XMP, this will default to 125 strap. I replied to you on ROG regarding this...

Adaptive does not work on anything other than 100 strap.

As for life span, you likely won't notice any notable difference for the time you own the CPU, as long as you're not hammering it with Prime.

At that voltage, not likely. Was probably never completely stable to begin with, or something else at play.

I asked on multiple forums to get as many answers as possible, Thanks for the reply though.

I only really use the CPU for a bit of video rendering now and then and some gaming, Nothing too intense.

OcUK Staff
Makes zero difference to product life my very informed sources tell me. So long as ofcourse voltage is not above recommended limits and cooling is appropriate for the load and voltage.

So your totally fine.

Soldato
I recently retired my ten year old Q6600, it was running over volted it's entire life and was overclocked from day 1. Still work's fine, my mate's using it as a htpc.

As above, as long as it's a sensible voltage for the chip, and temps are well within safe levels it's fine.

Soldato
8 Pack;30495206 said:
Makes zero difference to product life my very informed sources tell me. So long as ofcourse voltage is not above recommended limits and cooling is appropriate for the load and voltage.

So your totally fine.

I'd actually be interested to know what kind of effects you notice on the chips you're putting crazy volts into. I don't know if ln2 protects them somewhat by reducing electromigration, but have you seen chips degrade rapidly under high volts?

Back
Top Bottom