Consultants - How many freebies ?

Associate
Hello Chaps,

I have been consulting for a while now, and my rates with my stable / long term clients are good and established.

However some referrals are asking for "can we go for a coffee and a chat" I have done this once for a client, and now they are asking for a bit more of a complex explanation on some industry issues. And offering me cake and coffee...

Should I say to them, yes no problem but please not my hourly rate is xx ?

Just don't want to be taken for a mug for giving my lunch hour away.. or am I just being greedy :p

Man of Honour
Offer to have a call but if they seek a face to face consultancy then make them aware you are happy to set up a commercial arrangement so everyone is clear on the working arrangements. From a call you should be able to turn it into a chargeable engagement. Your value as a consultant is your experience, people love to try and access it for nothing which is fine if you don't get paid for providing it as a day job or you see this as a loss leader to a more detailed and paid engagement. Pre-sales or sale is the question you need to answer and don't be afraid in asking the customer that question.

Back
Top Bottom