Contracting - Asking for remote working

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

My contract is up where I’m working currently and I’ve been offered a couple of new contracts elsewhere.

They are 80+ miles away both of them, so I’d be staying over for the week. Which I’m happy to do given they are 6 month only both of them, and the day rate is approaching double what I’m on now.

But given I have a young family, I’d ideally like at least one day working from home. I’m fortunate where I am now that I pretty much work from home every day, but I’m not naive enough to think I’ll get that lucky forever.

Is it a fair request to ask and try and push for at least one day? Should I ask the employer remotely or try and go through the agency to request it? I don’t want to affect the offer I have and risk losing it. Remote working is pretty common in the contracting world from working with contractors over the years, but it’s never really listed in any job specs so it’s not implied, but I’m hoping it wouldn’t affect me negatively asking

Any one been in this position and any tips?

Caporegime
just ask IMO - it isn't an unreasonable question to ask the employer directly tbh... though if the agent is someone you know well and they're familiar with the employer then perhaps a quick phonemail to them would also suffice

I know that it is standard (or at least was a few years ago) for contractors at at least one particular bank in London, they made use of hot desks too and I don't think they'd have had enough space if everyone turned up 5 days a week.

Soldato
Yeah worth an ask, I've looked at roles recently that both offered working from home as an option, decent employers seem to be recognising that, certainly in more senior roles, flexibility is a good thing.

Commissario
Ask the agency/recruiter at the start and ideally have it included in the contract (if and when the offer comes). Just be open and honest with your reasons, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Soldato
As already said, its worth asking. I would phrase it along the line of "Obviously I need to earn the level of trust needed for remote working, but is that an option once the initial learning curve phase is over".

Back
Top Bottom