Control that urge!

Associate
Hi All,

I have a really old pc and I keep getting the urge to re-build.

My system is:

Zalman Z3plus Case
Intel i7 2700k @4.4 AIO cooled
Asus P8z77 M/B
Corsair TX750W PSU
Gigabyte RX470 4gb
16 GB ram
x3 120 GB SSD
running win 10 pro

As you can see it's old, but it still copes with what I want it to do. The only game that I play at the moment is WOT, as I just don't play games much anymore. Saying that I keep getting that urge to upgrade. My heart says to stick with what I have until something breaks, but that little voice in my head say's go for it. :D

If I was to upgrade? should I wait until after Xmas for possible deals or do I just stick with my current system until it dies?? Then again, if I was to upgrade, I wouldn't know where to begin as regards to what components would work best together. The budget would be 1k max.

Any advice would be great. :)

Associate
OP
I use a 24" LG tv as my monitor at the mo which does me just fine I guess as I hit 124+fps at 1080 on WOT.
The main thing is, for what I do at the moment, a bit of WOT gaming, youtube, and watch some movies and web searching is it worth upgrading now or just hold tight for any future bargains/deals.

Soldato
I would suggest a monitor, perhaps 120Hz+ if you'd like to see all those frames your RX 470 is getting you in WOT, and maybe a new case just to satisfy the re-build urge and keep unnecessary spending to a minimum. If your usage doesn't change much, and the components keep surviving, the system itself will still be good for a few years.

But if you're happy with the 60Hz display, then just the case.

Soldato
Those old TX PSUs had a pretty good rep. Since you're not going to put in new components, and the warranty on the older parts is over, the need for a new PSU isn't very great unless it starts giving you trouble, or is noisy.

Just to be absolutely sure, this your motherboard? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V/

Take it the liquid AIO is 120mm?

Any HDDs apart from the SSDs?

Soldato
^ thnx for that, monitor and case maybe the answer then, what case do you think?

what's your thoughts on psu as mine is very old now.
Do you want case to be able to dampen noise of components?
Any other requirements like colour/or look like window?

Case is definitely good to select with care, because it can be the longest enduring part.
My case is from 2008 (actual model from 2007) and have no intention to change it... couldn't even find anything exactly similar anymore.

From CPU I'll take it that PSU is about five years old, am I right?
That's not such long time for PSU made from quality components.
Though TX-serie was lower end older design already then.
And if it's original first version only 80+ PSU then I would consider it having been in service for long enough.

a bit of WOT gaming, youtube, and watch some movies
Sound reproduction is another area where you get long time "return for investment"...
Though in case of headphones it's good to remember to swap those worn ear pads.
Hadn't realized how much "flattened" those had become until yesterday swapping new pads to my DT990.

Associate
OP
Those old TX PSUs had a pretty good rep. Since you're not going to put in new components, and the warranty on the older parts is over, the need for a new PSU isn't very great unless it starts giving you trouble, or is noisy.

Just to be absolutely sure, this your motherboard? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V/

Take it the liquid AIO is 120mm?

Any HDDs apart from the SSDs?

No, it's the -m not -v. The PSU seems to be working fine as all volts are steady and not that much noise from the fan and yes it's a1200mm AIO temps are good even when gaming. All SSD's also.

Associate
OP
Do you want case to be able to dampen noise of components?
Any other requirements like colour/or look like window?

Case is definitely good to select with care, because it can be the longest enduring part.
My case is from 2008 (actual model from 2007) and have no intention to change it... couldn't even find anything exactly similar anymore.

From CPU I'll take it that PSU is about five years old, am I right?
That's not such long time for PSU made from quality components.
Though TX-serie was lower end older design already then.
And if it's original first version only 80+ PSU then I would consider it having been in service for long enough.

Sound reproduction is another area where you get long time "return for investment"...
Though in case of headphones it's good to remember to swap those worn ear pads.
Hadn't realized how much "flattened" those had become until yesterday swapping new pads to my DT990.

As for the new case, I like Black and side window would be good, but must have all decent cooling options and somewhere to hide all of those damn cables inside. noise is not too much of an issue as current system is not that noisy.

Soldato
No, it's the -m not -v.

Alright, so micro-ATX case then.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £680.05 (includes shipping: £23.10)

Included the NZXT H400i but personally not a big fan of those. I would go for the Fractal, or if you don't mind losing a bit of cooling performance and you prefer the looks - the Phanteks Evolv.​

Last edited:
Soldato
Also got a new EVGA 650 GQ for my new case. Later I think it will be a new CPU, MB, RAM and a 240mm AIO. What would be the best options keeping price lowish?

What's your budget and Intel or Ryzen ?

**** Ryzen, since your got a flagship i7 K , might as well go 1700, doesn't really make sense to step back to 1600 personally, other wise you would have got i5 K

Total: £708.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Again , since you had i7 , naturally you have to go i7 ..

Total: £921.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

No gigabyte mATX boards , just basic version at the moment , so my fall back is assistant Strix which is a solid pretty number .

We're to safe case, Asetek AIO, should be £100 cheaper but are louder . 280 or higher with that i7!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
^ Deffo food for thought, I think that I would stick with Intel. :)

I have just swapped out my old system into the new case and it is so quiet and looks fab with bags of room to play with, I will post a pic when I get time.

I guess that I will be putting in a second order as soon as Xmas is over. ;)

Associate
OP
I've given into the urge and gone for it. All due before Wednesday. :)
Intel i7-7700K Quad Core 4.2GHz LGA1151 HD
Asus LGA 1151 STRIX Z270G GAMING Intel Z270 M-ATX Motherboard - Black
HyperX HX432C16PB3K4/16 16 GB DDR4 CL16 DIMM Memory Kit - Black
DEEPCOOL Maelstrom 240 CPU Liquid Cooler AIO Liquid Cooling Water Cooler 2*120mm PWM Fan

The reason for the Deepcool AIO is I am using the 120 version at the moment and it is quiet and keeps my i7 2700k nice and cool @ 4.4ghz ;)

Soldato
Begs the question - why the i7-7700K over the similar performing and cheaper (usually) i5-8600K? Especially when Z370 could take a six-core/12-thread i7-8700K upgrade if ever needed.

Back
Top Bottom