converting a DVD image to AVI?

Associate
I've been given the task of editing a video for a band. The only problem I have is that its already burnt to a DVD so that it plays in standard DVD players.
They don't have the original AVI file it was recorded in on the camera (annoyingly)

So my question is how can I convert it back to AVI? if at all possible?

It doesnt matter if theres some loss of quality as it looks like it was filmed on a potato :p

Soldato
Copy the vob files from your disc to your hard drive then use any one of a number of programs (free included) to convert the vob to avi.

I haven't done it for a while but programs I've used are "Super", "Pocket DivX encoder", "Handrake".

Google is your friend here.

Don
I'd assume there's no copy protection on it.

Copy the VIDEO_TS contents to C:\VIDEO\

Open it in Virtualdub and save it as uncompressed AVI, you'll lose no quality. The video will already be lower quality as it's been compressed to DVD resolution

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies folks :) tried googling but it kept turning up dead ends or £25 software

No copy protection, a friend filmed a band and I have been tasked with tinkering with it. Im annoyed they don't have the original file- just something thats filmed with a potato and converted to dvd:(

time to roll a turd in glitter......

Thanks again all :)

Soldato
Freemake Video Converter - good at what it says it does, but with the minimum of features that some might find useful, such as audio normalisation and auto crop.

Back
Top Bottom