Converting Video in HD

Caporegime
Hey folks not sure if this is the right forum. but basically i video'ed a fair bit with my video camera last night just messing around and that, and i was wondering if anyone knew how to go about converting the video in HD, now ive got my main windows machine and my iBook here so if i need Mac OSX i can use it.

anyone got any ideas how to go about it?

Cheers :)

Caporegime
Am I understanding that you want to convert your camcorder stuff recorded at PAL DV res into an HD format? Or you recorded in HDV or whatever and are looking to get it onto a computer?

Caporegime
OP
Caged said:
Am I understanding that you want to convert your camcorder stuff recorded at PAL DV res into an HD format? Or you recorded in HDV or whatever and are looking to get it onto a computer?

Getting it onto the computer isnt a problem, firewire cable and job done, its converting it into an HD format, i no it can be done as a friend of mine did it with some footage but i havent been able to contact him.

Soldato
you mean its not in HD to start with? If so, whats the point in scaling it up, you wont gain any quality you will only gain huge amounts of filesize.

Caporegime
Yeah that was going to be my response if you were just using a DV camcorder. Scaling it up won't do anything.

Caporegime
The best quality will be achieved by keeping it in PAL DV format and resolution in iMovie or whatever, and running a good deinterlace filter on it.

Soldato
keep it as it is when you edit it but when it comes to putting it on the net use the hd codec h.264, it'll keep the video at 720x576, it'll also look good and the file size shouldn't be too bad, have a look at my website in my signature and you'll see the hd videos are 720x576, look good and file size isn't too bad. To convert to h.264 I just used Apple compressor, which comes with Final Cut I think and will be in your apps folder.

Back
Top Bottom