Cookie Opt in

Associate
Sorry if already discussed but couldn't see a thread on this.

Pretty soon the UK law is changing meaning all websites that store cookies on users computers need to get the users permission or acknowledgement to use them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17745938

I have been toying with a small affiliate site and this means that i will need to add a pop-up asking if the user is ok with cookies.

This also goes for pretty much every site on the internet - certainly any that have affiliate links and banner ads.

I'm a total novice but this law seems ridiculous and i can't see it sticking. Cookies on the whole seem very misunderstood by the masses and i would assume average joe will not allow cookies given the option.

So...anyone got any opinions on this? are you going to comply?

Soldato
I'm interested in this thread as I'm currently in charge of a car owners' club website! We use Wordpress and phpBB, but no Google Analytics or AdWords etc...

Associate
OP
so far i haven't seen it on any websites apart from the BT one mentioned in the BBC article - even then i clicked away from the message without actually selecting an option and it vanished.

i think i'll hold off until i see it being implimented more widely. i'm not making any money anyway but interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Soldato
I've just completed a cookie audit for the websites I manage. Our group is taking the necessary steps.

In my personal opinion, once you get over the stupidity, why aren't Facebook or Google giving any guidance on this? It's analytics and its four cookies or facebook social plugins and its army that are on the majority of our sites which are non-compliant with the legislation. All of our other cookies are arguably essential to the application they are within and therefore exempt.

Last edited:
Associate
I have also completed a cookie audit. I have one session cookie that will get deleted once the browser is closed, or the member logs out. No trackers, social plugins or Ads. So, I assume I am safe ...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So it looks like it's not worth spending too much time on this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18090118

The article states that they aren't going to be looking for sites that don't comply, just reacting to complaints. Makes sense really otherwise they would need several thousand people working on it.

Even then it seems as long as you are thinking about implimenting it you will be ok. Seeing as the Government sites will not be complying when it goes live and that most other big companies won't I can't see this sticking around for long.

Soldato
I saw it on an article when I was reading up. Can't find the article now, but here's a link to the image with some background:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vickyb/5859873960/

This information provided by the Information Commissioner's Office under a FOI request I made, shows how traffic measured in the web analytics tool (GA) has fallen by 90% since their explicit cookie opt in request.

Associate
Assuming you wanted to comply with this. How would you go about it ?

Assuming all the cookies I have is Google analytics I would place 2 buttons somewhere saying I accept cookies / I dont accept cookies. Does anyone have a link to any code that could be used to script the 2 different outcomes of that action? and I assume that you would have to have them disabled by default to start with to?

TIA

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Assuming you wanted to comply with this. How would you go about it ?

Assuming all the cookies I have is Google analytics I would place 2 buttons somewhere saying I accept cookies / I dont accept cookies. Does anyone have a link to any code that could be used to script the 2 different outcomes of that action? and I assume that you would have to have them disabled by default to start with to?

TIA

To the average user saying "Would you mind we placed cookies on your computer" would spell death, because the average Joe would just click no.

This is why the Law will fail - or you need to wait for the big players to do it first so it becomes the 'norm' for user to agree to it.

Back
Top Bottom