Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Soldato
It's a bit sad this thread is so quiet, there's so much to explore with bread baking, wish we had more active posters on the topic.

I did my first order of a decent quantity of flour this week, a 16kg sack of bread flour.

Now wondering how to practically store it. Lugging the sack between pantry and kitchen each time I want to use it is a pain, and obviously will end up messy. Does anyone buy sacks like this and if so, do you decant into something like a large plastic container? Tried to put some into our largest tupperware just now, but that's only enough to make one loaf basically so not worth it.

Associate
I use Blue plastic storage bins (H32) 30 ltr they are pricey but worth it-then I have a 12 ltr (Lock&Lock) small clear platic tub for every day use. And I still keep an eye on this thread and bake bread every single day.. sometimes twice :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Blue plastic storage bins (H32) 30 ltr they are pricey but worth it-then I have a 12 ltr (Lock&Lock) small clear platic tub for every day use. And I still keep an eye on this thread and bake bread every single day.. sometimes twice :)
Hey, thanks for replying.

Is your lock and lock this one?

Does seem a bit expensive, was looking at this one below, guess it would do the same job?

What sort of bread do you make regularly?

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm with you on kg/litre, I figured the 9.7l one could fit a bit over 5kg at a push, so would have to fill 3x from each sack, but if it has to be 4x (fitting 4kg each time) then so be it. I don't think a container big enough to fit a whole sack is practical really, just don't want to be opening and closing the sack each time I bake.

Where do you get your flour from?

Soldato
I wouldn't ever decant a 16KG bag into another container (avoid any risk of flour mites, unless you clean that container religiously) , just transfer 2-3Kg from time to time into a smaller container , get a flour scoop though.

3kg container is maybe manageable on worktop if you need some handfuls of flour for board, and positioning for weighing, can't seem to get traditional round plastic flour tubs these days, like tupperware relations have
whitefurze 6/10L look good https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whitefurze-Plastic-Storage-Canister-Handle/dp/B004VEWJ2S?th=1

Soldato
Cheese&Bacon Loaf
Looks great!

For flour storage, what about something like this. The entire flour sack could just sit inside it, so no decanting.

Not that convinced how air tight it is, but the sack would never be air tight anyway really once opened.

Soldato
I made some bread last night using Alison's Country Grain. Went pretty well overall, I think my house is a bit too cool for it to rise fully when proving so will sit it in a bath of warm water or something I reckon. Did take a fair bit longer to cook than the recipe indicated, maybe that's due to it not fully rising? Not flat by any means but something to improve on.

It's quite a relaxing process really! Definitely going to get into bread making more.

Soldato
Made Panettone with the breadmaker, OMG, it's like getting it from a shop...except not as sweet but i think i just need to tweak the recipe.
whose recipe did you use .. ?

how much of that expensive (melted?) butter commodity & eggs.
the eggs section in JS is constantly shrinking I learned this am, that's because supermarkets increased /doz price 40p, but only gave suppliers 5p

Commissario
Hey @Feek, what recipe do you follow for these? They look awesome!
They are, we're still baking the same loaf every few days.

I've posted the recipe above but here's a copy. Note that I'm using a Panasonic bread machine for the kneading and the initial prove.

1 1/2 tsp yeast
450g strong Canadian white flour (I use Marriages)
150g strong Canadian wholemeal flour (I use Marriages)
12g salt
1tsp sugar
20g extra virgin olive oil
380g water (straight out of the tap)

Menu 4 on the Panasonic and hit go. Because it's controlled by a Hue Smart Plug, say "Hey Siri, turn off the bread machine in four hours"

Menu 4 is the wholemeal bake option, cancelling it after four hours allows it to rest and does a good knead.

After the four hours, I take the dough out, very lightly knock it back and shape it into a bloomer, put it on the baking tray, cover with a tea towel and set a timer for one hour and fifteen minutes. When that timer goes off, I turn the oven on to 220°C and set another timer for ten minutes for the oven to warm up.

When that timer goes off, slash the loaf and cover it in an egg white wash. Sprinkle poppy seeds and bung it in the oven. Set two timers, one for twelve minutes and one for thirty minutes. When the first timer goes off, turn the oven down to 200C° and when the second timer goes off, take it out and allow to cool.

Perfection :D

Soldato
Panetonne interesting didn't realise newer (than mine) machines will stop and wait for manual intervention twice , although removing/greasing breadpan before bake is a bit laborious.

Steps​

1Stir the egg yolks and egg with water in a bowl. Then take the bread pan with the kneading blade out of the breadmaker and add all ingredients in the top-to-bottom order.
2Select menu 12 and choose crust colour. After that press start button.
3After about 55 minutes the breadmaker will beep. Add the additional butter (70g). Close the lid and press start again.
4After 50 minutes you will hear the beep sound again. Open the lid and take the bread and kneadning blade out of the bread pan. Grease the breadpan with butter and replace the bread into the pan. Close the lid and press start.

Soldato
They are, we're still baking the same loaf every few days.

I've posted the recipe above but here's a copy. Note that I'm using a Panasonic bread machine for the kneading and the initial prove.

1 1/2 tsp yeast
450g strong Canadian white flour (I use Marriages)
150g strong Canadian wholemeal flour (I use Marriages)
12g salt
1tsp sugar
20g extra virgin olive oil
380g water (straight out of the tap)

Menu 4 on the Panasonic and hit go. Because it's controlled by a Hue Smart Plug, say "Hey Siri, turn off the bread machine in four hours"

Menu 4 is the wholemeal bake option, cancelling it after four hours allows it to rest and does a good knead.

After the four hours, I take the dough out, very lightly knock it back and shape it into a bloomer, put it on the baking tray, cover with a tea towel and set a timer for one hour and fifteen minutes. When that timer goes off, I turn the oven on to 220°C and set another timer for ten minutes for the oven to warm up.

When that timer goes off, slash the loaf and cover it in an egg white wash. Sprinkle poppy seeds and bung it in the oven. Set two timers, one for twelve minutes and one for thirty minutes. When the first timer goes off, turn the oven down to 200C° and when the second timer goes off, take it out and allow to cool.

Perfection :D

Thanks Feek! Will give it a go. Haven't quite got the right flour so following a Paul Hollywhatever recipe tonight, shall post the results.

Back
Top Bottom