Cooling a 5900x

Associate
Hello please can anyone advise, I have a Fractal Design Celsius s36 with standard fans that came with it,
am I going to see a big improvement in lower temps if i swap out to Noctua NF-A12X25 fans, the main thing is it has to be quiet which it isnt when i start MSFS2020 the main reason for the build, I have also thought about a d15 cooler but the thing weighs a ton plus i already have a MSI RTX3080 Suprimx which is heavy as well. thanks Ade

Associate
You've posted this in the WC forum, I assume you're talking about a standard air cooling problem as you don't mention a loop for your 3080 and a d15 for your cpu.
You might be better served posting your thread on the OC & cooling forum.

In terms of your question, you might want to give a bit more detail. Which fans are you talking about, case or cpu cooler? How many are you going to replace? Have you got a CPU OC which might be throwing out more heat than normal? Etc etc.

Associate
OP
Sorry first time post thank you for your reply, , I am trying to reduce the fan noise on my AIO
Fractal Design Celsius S36 - 360 mm Radiator - Silent Liquid CPU Cooler - PWM - Intelligent Controls - 3x Fractal Design Dynamic X2 PWM GP-12 120Mm Silent Fans, its not overclocked, I was wondering if replacing the 3 stock fans on the radiator for Noctua NF-A12X25 fans would make a big improvement in lower temps and noise as MSFS2020 pushes the CPU temps above 70 degrees and produces noticeable noise.
The reference to a D15 was to ask if I would be better to swap out the radiator all together and go with a D15, my only concern is because the rtx3080 (no water-cooling) is so heavy already i dont really want to add more weight into the system.

Associate
If your temps are over 70 at stock on a 360mm AIO then I would probably take a look at the mounting first rather than fans. Every fan has a different response to every radiator, it's all about the fin density and how the air moves across the rad.

Noctua generally do make quiet fans but without spending money you would be much better served checking your mount first.

Associate
Sir Confused, sorry do you mean remove, clean and reapply tim to the cold plate/pump?
Exactly that. You could check that the mounting system looks to be doing the job before you remove it first if you like but if you have some paste lying around I would just go straight to a remount and see what that gets you.

Associate
Hello please can anyone advise, I have a Fractal Design Celsius s36 with standard fans that came with it,
am I going to see a big improvement in lower temps if i swap out to Noctua NF-A12X25 fans, the main thing is it has to be quiet which it isnt when i start MSFS2020 the main reason for the build, I have also thought about a d15 cooler but the thing weighs a ton plus i already have a MSI RTX3080 Suprimx which is heavy as well. thanks Ade

not really no. You would have quieter fans but for almost £90 its very expensive. I'd go for arctic P12 fans if you want something quieter than stock.

Associate
First step try to remind and check.
About noise, depending on your fan profile, if the fan rpm changes too often for no reason, the ramp up and down is quite often noisier and more noticeable than a continuous rpm.
Before going for the expense of simply changing fans, I would set, on BIOS PWM control, minimum temperature at 60C, 50% fan, second temperature 70C, 65% fan and 3 temperature 75C, 100% fan.
Just keep in mind that every fan, even for same model, would present different noise level at same rpm. You can later find at which rpm your fans keep the idle temperature at near quiet temperature. Adding few more % to tackle the temperature under occasional loads and at the maximum temperature you're happy with, the fans as loud as you find acceptable. Most fans won't benefit going from 80 to 100%, unless they're seriously chocked by filters or silly near solid panels.

Associate
OP
Thank you Drumroll, I will give those settings a go.
I have been reading about cooling in general and am going to add another fan to the front, there two at the moment and change the direction off the radiator fans to input not output as someone suggested on another forum to see if that helps.

str

str

Soldato
I've learned to accept higher temps for virtually silent operation and I suspect you will find yourself in the same situation regardless of the fans used.

Your Fractal fans have silent motors but max out at 2000RPM which isn't far off the loud noise levels of other performance fans but to keep noise levels down you probably want to keep them below 1000RPM and maybe even below 800RPM if it was possible in your setup.

What PC case are you using? Can you fit intake fans on the bottom of it?

For quiet operation with acceptable temps, it's necessary to have positive air pressure so less air out and more air in. Usually it's best to exhaust hot air using the back fan and the top fans with the side and bottom fans configured as intake.

You should install hwnfo64 to understand the variables you are dealing with. Booting from cold will tell you the room ambient idle temperature, then after a while you'll see how much it increases which is your warm idle temperature. Then look for your single core boosting temperature for example while browsing it'll spike on one core, and finally your multicore temperatures when running a game or whatever. If you have M2 SSDs, those temperatures are useful to know too.

Knowing all this helps when deciding a silent fan PWM percentage for the warm single core boost temperature and the subsequent PWM increase required to maintain acceptable temperatures for multicore situations.

Associate
OP
I ve got it better by changing the settings as above also the spin up/down times, the define 7 case is not the best for airflow, i have increased to front fan speeds and that has helped a lot as well. Thank you everyone that replied much appreciated.

Associate
Also worth checking, depending if the fan is intake or exhaust, the noise level will be different.
Also, not always faster means louder. You'll have to try, at which % your fan is quieter depending on its position/function.
Some Arctic P12 high speed were dead quiet at 40%, but louder at 50% than they were at 55 or even 60%. Depending on the voltage or % the PWM supplied to the fan, the fan may sound like is osculating it's rpm, when it isn't.
Won't take long, but will definitely help you get your system as quiet as possible.

Back
Top Bottom