cooling P4 3 ghz northwood and conroe

Associate
Hi all. I am in the market for a cooler for my p4 agp rig. I decided to buy a 7600 gt agp and now i want to O.C. the cpu to get max performance... I plan on buying a conroe rig in the 1st 1/4 of next year and would gladley spend good money on a cpu cooler that i could transfer to my new rig. Are there any? I like the look of the ninja and big typhoon - just to expensive to buy just for my p4... Wouldn't mind if they would do for conroe an all...

Edit: P4 3ghz skt 478 at mo.

Soldato
thermaltake big typhoon
scythe infinity
Scythe ninja
Tunic tower 120
those are the most important ones, the list goes on tho.

virdi: freezer 4 doest fit on socket 775 (conroe) and freezer 7 doesn fit on 478, also scythe ninja is better than coolermaster

Last edited:
Soldato
jaxoncrakhamma said:
Thanks for advice peeps.. Like the look of the big typhoon and ninja. Is the ninja any good fanless?

Would get the ninja over typhoon as typhoon has some disadvantages ( still excellent cooler)
Scythe ninja CAN be used w/o fan on the northwood i think scythe states, but personally i wouldnt recommend it, just lower the rpm to 400 or something , would be less noise as your psu, on the conroe you have to use a fan tho.
Dont forget the size of those stuff, both ninja and tt big typhoon are huge, use the search function to find some threads with pictures of them to see what i mean.

Post 29 here has a ninja:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17620343&highlight=antec

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Problem is the ninja seems to be out of stock most places. My local pc shop has offered me a big typhoon for £25 inclusive. I have no idea if these monsters will fit in my case (chieftech dragon). Does the ninja warrant the extra exp and the postage and packing etc? - would probably take it up to £40. Is the draw back that the fan on the typhoon is noisy?

Soldato
jaxoncrakhamma said:
Problem is the ninja seems to be out of stock most places. My local pc shop has offered me a big typhoon for £25 inclusive. I have no idea if these monsters will fit in my case (chieftech dragon). Does the ninja warrant the extra exp and the postage and packing etc? - would probably take it up to £40. Is the draw back that the fan on the typhoon is noisy?

nah the prob is it isnt good for general airflow of your case, also it blows a bit of hot air on the chipset ( depending on your cpu and chipset this can both be positive or negative, but in most cases negative), also it performs a bit worse, ninja is newer...
The fan tho can be modified or replaced on both the coolers with one that suits you more...

Associate
OP
Nice one snow dog.. they have also offered me a thermalright ultra 120 for around the same price as the ninja??? I would have to buy a fan for it I think...
Failing that i will try to locate a ninja somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom