corded or cordless

Soldato
All cords here.
Packard bell mechanical keyboard from around 1996 - model 5131C.
G400 mouse recently broke after 10 years use (ironically the cord to the mouse became loose) Replaced it yesterday with an MX518 legendary 'G MX518'
Headphones are also corded - Beyerdynamic DT1770 pro.

I tried a wireless headset at work not too long ago and wireless keyboard and mouse. The headset bluetooth kept having issues and mouse needed to me wasnt as responsive as a wired dell mouse id been using. Went back to all wires at work too / wfh.
I do have a small wireless keyboard to use with my Steam Deck which makes some things easier

Last edited:
Caporegime
As I game a lot, I tend to stay on wired. Especially since the main game I play is an MMO, and I play support toons that become essential (tank, heal, last one standing, etc). Which means if the battery is going down in the middle of a run, I don't have the time to switch out the wireless device when I should be saving a run or helping a run happen.
I have a logoitech G pro wireless mouse and the battery will last days of 8hour+ usage easy,
The lights on top of the mouse change colour to show how charged the mouse is so it's as simple as plugging the cord in and using it like a wired mouse for 30-60mins until it's charged again.

the battery in them must be tiny because they charge ridiculously quick.

playing with the cord attached just feels weird and restrictive, there's no way I could go back to a wired mouse now.

Associate
Gone back to wires. I had a Corsair K63 wireless and it was great, everything I wanted in a keyboard, nice and small, mechanical switches, RF and bluetooth connectivity, also got a wireless Harpoon mouse to match.

I lasted about a month, the battery life is just woeful, maybe 2 days at most with heavy use on both keyboard and mouse. I get that if I buy a cheap microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard that the quality is not as good but how can that thing last 8 months + on a battery in this lasts 2 days? Yeah it might have a lower response rate but honestly I would take that over the terrible battery life.

Associate
I went with wired, had wireless before a Logitech one, but after a couple of years it started playing up by not registering and then got progressively worse, the battery progressively got worse and so when built new pc changed it all for wired. Yeah it's not as clean looking as wireless (though I've tidied the cables best I can to hide them ) but least I know everytime I go to use it, it will work perfectly fine and don't have to worry about charging or keeping a spare set of batteries near by

Soldato
I use a wireless mouse for my laptop because it's convenient. I can take the mouse out the laptop bag and start using it. No need to untangle the cable and plug it in.

However, that benefit doesn't apply to a desktop PC so I don't see the point in a wireless mouse. If I can't feel the cable and I forget it's there, what it the benefit of wireless for a desktop pc?

Last edited:
Associate
Currently a corded Razer Deathadder, but just ordered a wireless one to replace it. I prefer a cleaner desk and the cable no pulling or getting caught.

Associate
Well, I've tried with the wireless XBox One controller now, and... Not that much a fan. It's great when it works. It's when it doesn't work (connectivity issues over Bluetooth) and it then falls apart.

In Street Fighter 6, I can, even with the older heavily drifting stick 360 controller, can play fine (I basically adapt to the drift and adjust my control angles with it) but when I mess up I know it's me who was at fault. But with the wireless controller - every so often, with the poor signal on the wireless XBox One controller, things just go from great to bad real quick the game is not reading my inputs and I get KO'd in short order.

So from that, will mostly stay on wired still. Wires aren't an issue for me, not when reaction to events on screen is important for me at least. If I'm playing something like Baldur's Gate 3 on split screen, then I can definitely see myself go with a wireless controller without concern.

Soldato
Update, the MX518 legendary 'G MX518' was crap. Returned it and fixed my G400 by opening it and fitting an old Dell USB connection then ordered some new mouse skates/pads for £6 for 2 sets.
I also ordered a G400 new old stock from Aliexpress. I'll keep it until mine fully gives up (which might be another 10 years!) The MX518 legendary just felt off, the sensor seemed better but it didnt feel as well made as the G400 and couldnt get used to the lower profile shape either.

Associate
I've never like wireless mice until I got the G903. I've had no problems with that.

Same here. Don't think I could go back to corded mice now. No input lag noticed at all. Only time it gets plugged into the cable to charge is end of each day when not using it so know that battery is always charged for the morning. If I try to use it with charging cable plugged in, I end up knocking the clusterf**k of stuff on my desk everywhere (no, not going to tidy it as know where everything is!!!) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Soldato
Both :D

I have a "desktop PC" where I do most browsing and work, I have all cored setup there. Though hate cables being visible so drilled holes which the cables pass right through leaving desk wire free. Most my gaming however is done on a sofa with Large screen TV and for that I use the Corsair lapboard with K63 + Dark Core pro.

No issues or problems in terms of lag and for most the part no issues with charging just normally plug it up to charge in the evening and its a non-issue.

Associate
Though hate cables being visible so drilled holes which the cables pass right through leaving desk wire free

That's what I done with my desk. Bought a flush mount cable tidy/SD card reader/dual USB 3.0 port jobbie from Amazon (I think), that drilled hole in desk behind the keyboard & all the cables run through that. Tried a corded mouse via that but had to have slack on the desk which got on my nerves, so bought a cordless mouse (as per last post) & the charging cable gets pulled back to the mouse to charge each night.

Soldato
Well, I've tried with the wireless XBox One controller now, and... Not that much a fan. It's great when it works. It's when it doesn't work (connectivity issues over Bluetooth) and it then falls apart.

In Street Fighter 6, I can, even with the older heavily drifting stick 360 controller, can play fine (I basically adapt to the drift and adjust my control angles with it) but when I mess up I know it's me who was at fault. But with the wireless controller - every so often, with the poor signal on the wireless XBox One controller, things just go from great to bad real quick the game is not reading my inputs and I get KO'd in short order.

So from that, will mostly stay on wired still. Wires aren't an issue for me, not when reaction to events on screen is important for me at least. If I'm playing something like Baldur's Gate 3 on split screen, then I can definitely see myself go with a wireless controller without concern.
Connectivity issue is usually down to poor onboard Bluetooth devices I plugged in a BT 5.2 with EDR dongle for my DS, no more problems. Can't bear cables on controllers

Back
Top Bottom