Cordless Vacuum to buy on black Friday?

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the reply.

£80 for a replacement battery is a lot.

I'm not sure about rechargeable large tech at the moment.

Reminds me of a portable hedge trimmer I bought, between summers the battery died, and the replacement cost was more than I paid for the whole unit when it was on offer.

Think I'll stick to my mains vac and the inconvenience of carting it up and down the stairs.

The battery is bizarre. Seen a few reviews saying it gave out in a year and a half.

I've never had an issue with a Lithium battery before. Maybe it's the high power draw?

Again, might just be bad luck. Might try a random brand if a good offer comes up on black Friday

Soldato
I'll be looking at a Dyson V10 for the parents as they're OAP's and whinge about anything heavy. Hell they're still using my old ancient Dyson DC34 mini hoover that is over a decade+ old. Probably got a budget around £280.

I've had my V10 Animal for about a two years now having purchased it from the Ebay Dyson Refurb store for £330. It is still going strong on a small flat with mixed hardwood and carpeted rooms. I've never liked the bin opening mechanism though, it is terrible imo.

I looked at Shark but visually it looks like a LOT more plastic for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be looking at a Dyson V10 for the parents as they're OAP's and whinge about anything heavy. Hell they're still using my old ancient Dyson DC34 mini hoover that is over a decade+ old. Probably got a budget around £280.

I've had my V10 Animal for about a two years now having purchased it from the Ebay Dyson Refurb store for £330. It is still going strong on a small flat with mixed hardwood and carpeted rooms. I've never liked the bin opening mechanism though, it is terrible imo.

I looked at Shark but visually it looks like a LOT more plastic for the money.

Hoover H-free 500.
Probaly the lightest on the market. Trade off is smaller cylinder and battery than average but I really rate mine.

Caporegime
OP
Also been looking at cheap dyson.
How do you charge them if you don't have a plug near the wall mount??

This looks like a deal breaker.

No removable battery?
So if you can't use the Dock to charge you need to have the whole vacuum on a work surface or something to charge it?

Last edited:
Soldato
No removable battery?
So if you can't use the Dock to charge you need to have the whole vacuum on a work surface or something to charge it?
We haven't anywhere suitable for the dock in our small place so we charge ours on the hallway floor, with the nozzle attachment on since it is the most frequently used. I think they moved away from removable batteries because in the older dysons (including my parents still working DC34) there were battery contact issues where the machine would stop working until you gave the battery a whack.

Not a fan of built in either so I hope our V10 lasts long.

Last edited:
Soldato

Grab it before the deal disappears today, Dyson V11 Absolute (inc torque drive head) from eBay refurbished (the one we had is brand new in a sealed box) for £254.99 if you use the automatic 10% off at checkout on refurbs and the code BAG20OFF. It was also delivered next day even though it was ordered on a Sunday, weird.

It's a lot of vacuum for your money to be honest.

Edit: You may have to call them if you don't get the torque drive in the box, as apparently some people haven't received there's bust CS are sending them out, which is good as they are £70!

Last edited:
Associate
The battery is bizarre. Seen a few reviews saying it gave out in a year and a half.

I've never had an issue with a Lithium battery before. Maybe it's the high power draw?

Again, might just be bad luck. Might try a random brand if a good offer comes up on black Friday
I've just had two 3.0ah Vax batteries die within a week of each other at just over 12 months old. Luckily both under a 3yr guarantee so new 4.0ah sent out without issue - albeit expecting them to inevitably die too. I wouldn't buy again.

Caporegime
OP
I've just had two 3.0ah Vax batteries die within a week of each other at just over 12 months old. Luckily both under a 3yr guarantee so new 4.0ah sent out without issue - albeit expecting them to inevitably die too. I wouldn't buy again.

Yeah I've seen a fair few reviews saying the same. Seriously.. How often does a lithium battery fail? Sure. They degrade. But fail?

It feels so wasteful to not buy another. But if they are this badly designed I don't want to throw money at it.

Caporegime
OP
Grab it before the deal disappears today, Dyson V11 Absolute (inc torque drive head) from eBay refurbished (the one we had is brand new in a sealed box) for £254.99 if you use the automatic 10% off at checkout on refurbs and the code BAG20OFF. It was also delivered next day even though it was ordered on a Sunday, weird.

Edit: You may have to call them if you don't get the torque drive in the box, as apparently some people haven't received there's bust CS are sending them out, which is good as they are £70!

That's a tempting deal!
I do not like the non removable battery with a 1 year warranty however

Last edited:
Soldato
My Dyson V11 has a broken trigger, a common fault with them. I've bought a replacement trigger but have yet to pull it apart to fix it. Whilst it worked it was excellent and I'm finding using the old DC34 a real chore to use.

Soldato

Cheers mate. Looks like it’s OOS by the time I saw this post. I’ll be keeping an eye on the outlet as I’ve seen some great deals in the past there.

Caporegime
OP
Think I'm going to wait on a hoover hf9 deal.
Had a look today and it fits the bill.

The vax fit the bill on paper too so who knows.

Dyson - no separate battery. Only one year warranty on ebay refurb. To expensive non refurb
Shark - too heavy, no wall mount
Vax - just no

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We bought a Shark IZ202UKTDB (this one) direct from Shark yesterday for £189. It's the pet model and comes with a free car detailing kit and free delivery. It has a 5 year warranty (2 years on the battery) and gets excellent reviews. I couldn't care less about the weight, hopefully heavy equals well built.

Soldato
We bought a Shark IZ202UKTDB (this one) direct from Shark yesterday for £189. It's the pet model and comes with a free car detailing kit and free delivery. It has a 5 year warranty (2 years on the battery) and gets excellent reviews. I couldn't care less about the weight, hopefully heavy equals well built.

Ended up buying this, was getting fed up with looking!

As you say, great warranty, and it'll do me for upstairs.

Man of Honour
Mine came yesterday. Took 3 hours to charge it and got around 25 minutes using carpet and turbo modes which isn't bad. It's pick up is impressive and much better than our old Lidl cordless vacuum. It is really top heavy though so you have to be careful not to lift the head off the floor on the return stroke. The car detailing kit is so cute but more useful for things like keyboards and computers!! The small powered attachment is excellent for stairs when used in the handheld form. Don't forget to register it for the 5 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom