• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core clock stepping down

Soldato
Just a quick one, what metric steps in to bring down the core clock on a OC? It's been bugging me for a while, doesn't matter, but let's say I get 2,100 core clock on my 2080 ti, even before it reaches 60C, it steps down to 2055, and will go a little lower once it reached temperature equilibrium.

Here's my current OC mappings, I sit around 70-75C which is fairly toasty, but this is with very low case fan movement and ultimately a 'silent' profile.

75WNonn.png

5CWYO4V.png

EP42isX.png

As you can see, the card happily sits around 70-75C which is way below the cut off temp to start dropping the core frequency. I've tried ramping up the voltage but to no gain and generally I don't like doing that.

Last edited:
Associate
Almost certainly Power limit, your graphic shows 121% of 130, but it is only what is reported, it could be asking for more than 130% and therefore having to drop the core frequency as a result. the details of the Nvidia Algorithm which drive the core clock speed are not fully known, but likely work sequentially in small increments.

There are Vids on this on Gamers Nexus, where they shunt mod the cards to bypass the power limiting resistors to draw unlimited power, but this voids the warranty and could damage the hardware.

Soldato
OP
Almost certainly Power limit, your graphic shows 121% of 130, but it is only what is reported, it could be asking for more than 130% and therefore having to drop the core frequency as a result. the details of the Nvidia Algorithm which drive the core clock speed are not fully known, but likely work sequentially in small increments.

There are Vids on this on Gamers Nexus, where they shunt mod the cards to bypass the power limiting resistors to draw unlimited power, but this voids the warranty and could damage the hardware.

Ahhhh, nice, that makes sense. Thanks for the info, I was more curious on what metric it would be, the difference is negligable in games so I'm not fussed on max clock, just curious to what's causing the stepping.

Soldato
OP
Yep, watching power target in the X1 HWM, I see it's peaking out at 130% a lot, that's the cause, it just can't get enough power... Oh well. At least I know why!

Back
Top Bottom