Correct way of killing my PC?

Caporegime
Would this kill it?

How it's layed out...

Wall ----- surge protector ---- PC, monitor, phone & lamp

Surge protector is this one - http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=135131

Wall is on, surge protector is on, PC power switch is on.

But the lights on the surge protector are not on. I didn't notice this until I pressed the power button on my PC.

So I press the power button on my PC, and flick power light comes on then off. Do it again because PC some times does it after it hasn't been on for a while, haven't used it in over a week (been away). The same happens again. And now nothing happens, no lights on my motherboard or anything.

Now then... my Dad said that it had tripped the fuse that my room is on...but I did notice after I had pressed the power button that my phone charging light wasn't on, so there must not have been any power to begin with.

I have no idea about electrics so was there a charge left in my PSU or something? And when I pressed the power button it blew?

Summary

Have I killed my PC?

Thanks

AMG

AMG

Soldato
might not have, check for anything black on the mobo etc

only way to find out what died is to try another powersupply...it might have only blew the fuse.

does the power surge come on? if not than it may well be that gone.

so in short

check hte fuses...do you know how to use a voltmeter most have a fuse checking ablitiy. this is the easyest way other wise it will be just a case of replace the fuse in the belkins plug if nothing it can only be asumied the fuse went for your room for some reason

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah the surge protector is all light up now, protected & earthed.

Do have a voltmeter, I'll have to check it tomorrow, and try and rob a mates PSU when I can.

Soldato
I had a surge protector blow one of those powerline things before, but it shouldn't have been plugged in in the first place (only on normal plugs) but regardless I have no idea why on earth it blew it (as connecting it to the surge protector would just mean it would not provide internet).

Needless to say, its put me off surge protectors lol.

Hope its just your psu thats gone!

Soldato
Can't see how a surge protector could blow anything, its passive.

Only thing I can think of is you had an unlucky combination of a broken surge protector and a duff psu and possibly dodgy wiring in your house, how much load is on that particular ring main? The surge protector should have tripped before the main fuse box did if it was a psu failure that caused the trip... unless you have a secret cannabis factory in your attic, lol!

Last edited:
Soldato
First thing I would do... connect your PC directly into the wall socket and test it. Chances are the surge protector is faulty and not your PSU ;)

Soldato
But seriously, i think your sure protector is bust. Get a new one, and maybe try a claim against them if they have any kind of guarantee.

Soldato
Thats quite alarming, assuming the psu committed suicide, the surge protector should have popped before it popped a fuse breaker on the main box.

Caporegime
OP
Thats quite alarming, assuming the psu committed suicide, the surge protector should have popped before it popped a fuse breaker on the main box.

When I just tried now with in plugged in the surge protector, that did go but so did the fuse.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy lots of shiny new things. :(

Soldato
Either that it there was some kind of surge that killed the psu and the surge protector didn't do its job. This is concerning as I too use a belkin surge protector....

Caporegime
OP
Either that it there was some kind of surge that killed the psu and the surge protector didn't do its job. This is concerning as I too use a belkin surge protector....

Indeed it is a quite concerning. I'm defiantly going to get a new one just to be sure.

Corsair HX620 is a good PSU too :( Can you RMA it? Get a new surge protector at the same time to be sure.

Yeah I can RMA it, 5 year warranty.

Funny thing coming up now...

Order Date: 22 Jul, 07, 11:32 pm

Exactly 3 years old when it died!! :( Cost me £97.81 as well!

Soldato
This is concerning as I too use a belkin surge protector....

I wouldn't worry about it mattyfez - chances are the PSU simply failed. It's very unlikely the surge protector had anything to do with it given the promises Belkin make regarding the cash guarantee they operate as do many other companies. I have a a very basic surge protector backed up by a Masterplug 3 way adapter with surge guard and to this day I've had no problems. Mind we don't really get power surges where I am but you just can't take the chance like.

Soldato
I suspect something else is amiss. I would say the surge protector is faulty and on that basis I would raise the issue with Belkin. A faulty PSU on it's own will just fail... not take out the fuse box at the same time. Especially a Corsair PSU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom