Corrupted USB Stick

Associate
Friend of mine has given me a USB Stick on which he has stored quite a number of photographs off his Digital Camera.

He tells me that some files are still visible complete with Thumbnails, others are visible with a file without a thumbnail and will not open in a viewer and that there are a number of folders that have appeared with random gibberish as file names. The files are all Jpegs.

It sounds like the USB stick has somehow become corrupted. I've told him I cannot promise anything but I would see what I could do.

He also tells me that he has not tried to write any files to the stick since he found it wasn't working properly - so at least that is a good thing!

So which program to use to try to recover as many pictures as possible? Recuva? or something else?

Associate
OP
Yes, the stick shows as a FAT32 formatted drive when you examine the properties, shows a 15.6GB capacity of which 6.96gb as used space.

Associate
OP
Well Photorec recovered 531 files, all viewable so I suspect that is a good result :)

I've copied them to a DVD and will leave the USB stick as is, just in case anyone else recommends another good program. He might end up with a few duplicate files, but that has got to be better than none at all!

Thanks for the help so far - much appreciated.

Associate
Well Photorec recovered 531 files, all viewable so I suspect that is a good result :)

I've copied them to a DVD and will leave the USB stick as is, just in case anyone else recommends another good program. He might end up with a few duplicate files, but that has got to be better than none at all!

Thanks for the help so far - much appreciated.

Glad you got some back :)

How many were there supposed to be?

Back
Top Bottom