Corsa Problem

Associate
Hi

I have a Corsa SRI 1.4 – its currently in the garage for MOT, it’s also in due to it misfiring. The guy at the garage has plugged it in and its coming up with a problem on cylinder 3 and its going into limp mode. Ive used this mechanic quite a few times so ive no doubt in my mind he is spinning me a line or anything.

He has suggested putting new oil in it and give it a clean as he thinks a valve is sticking but I don’t feel confident this is the problem. I asked a friend of mine to put a new coil pack and check the plugs are ok and he said its fine (this was before it went into the garage). He said if this doesn’t work he would be inclined to strip it down and have a look, but this would have obviously £££'s... I don’t have the money to chuck at it and would like to get a quick fix asap to be honest.

Has anyone else had a similar with these cars? If the new oil and filter doesn’t fix it does anyone know a decent mechanic in or around Oldham/Manchester who could help me with it?:)

Cheers

R

Associate
OP
Do go on,

There's your problem.

No problem. :)

Seriously though, if it's not the coilpack or spark plugs, then it does sound like a more serious problem. Detached piston rod in cylinder 3 perhaps?

Have you done a diagnostic check?

Haha, i know its not the best car in the world but it gets me A-B :)

I guess we would only know this if the guy stripped the head down?

R

Permabanned
Just an idea having looked around Corsa forums and having owned one of the buggers many moons ago.

Line of thinking is twofold; 1. it costs you nothing to do and may give an indication as to whether it's an ECU/sensor failure rather than an engine failure and 2. if it is an ECU/sensor failure, in all likelihood the car will stay out of limp mode for a few days - enough to get it through an MOT and buy you some time to get it sorted.

Soldato
Set the key to ignition but don't start the engine. While your feet are firmly pressed on the brake and gas pedal, then watch the EML light flash, 10 flashes is 0, that's how you get your error codes for free! each code is 4 numbers long, there will be a slightly longer pause and it'll just keep reeling all your error codes to you then start over again.

Back
Top Bottom