Corsair 680x vs 5000x

Associate
Hi,
I'm a great fan of the way the 680X looks. 3 days ago I could have got it for £154, now it's jumped a bit, and I still have a few reservations. 2nd choice is the 5000x...more conventional looking, but still, looks stylish and seems plenty of space in there to build, and if ever(after a few years) I get adventurous enough, put some watercooling in.
My reservations with the 680x. Although it's big, or so people say, depth seems to be an issue(front to back). I've got a 360mm rad(I know should have just got a 240 for the top, but bought cheap so that's what I have) and the only place it will fit is therefore on the front behind the 3 fans. With modern gpu, seems space is therefore tight behind that. I take it if i have a set of fans behind the rad too so it looks beter through the glass panel, that will mean not enough space for the gpu?
Also, read that although it says high airflow, reviews saying still gets warm. Is this the case? I'd put rad at front, 2 expelling at top, 1 expelling at rear, and 2 drawing on bottom, so 5 in, 3 out(that way positive pressure inside so should push air out gaps and hopefully keep dust down inside.
any other problems with it.
Otherwise I'm going with the 5000x. Still looks good, plenty of space or so reviews say...will just need a few more fans as might looks a bit empty otherwise. Would put rad on top with 3 fans exhausting air, 1 at back exhaust. 3 at front and maybe 3 at front side pulling in, so 6 in, 4 out.

Really wanted a bit more insight from anyone that's built with either.

any I know there are other cases, but these are the two I'm down to.

As I type this thinking maybe 5000x be easier..I like the LL120 fans in the 680x so could always put some in the front of the 5000x and use those 3 for the side intake

regards,
Craig

Associate
Hi,
I'm a great fan of the way the...
Craig

Hello!

Just this past weekend I rebuilt a friends PC and he moved from the 680x to the 5000x. The thing is they are both fantastic cases but i find the 680x a little too bulky. So for instance he had two fans at the bottom pulling up and they just looked out of place and not perfectly centre to the build, also there is a lot of case space around the fans and it looks odd (look at pics on google and you will see what i mean). The same at the top.... I personally did not like this slick element to it. The reason he changed cases as he wanted a full white build and the 680x still has black accents in it, the 5000x had less.

To make the case look complete he did have 10 ql fans in it so I wouldn't know what it would look like if you did not occupy all the fan space. I also prefer the water cooling options you have with the 5000x over the 680x and all in all it just looks cleaner on the desk. The 5000x is also cheaper if i remember... If i could be bothered to sign up for image hosting i would have put pics of both builds but im not about that life. If you want to see the pics i'd be happy to share them with you over one drive. PM if interested. But ya... i way prefer the 5000 :)

Associate
OP
Hello!

Just this past weekend I rebuilt a friends PC and he moved from the 680x to the 5000x. The thing is they are both fantastic cases but i find the 680x a little too bulky. So for instance he had two fans at the bottom pulling up and they just looked out of place and not perfectly centre to the build, also there is a lot of case space around the fans and it looks odd (look at pics on google and you will see what i mean). The same at the top.... I personally did not like this slick element to it. The reason he changed cases as he wanted a full white build and the 680x still has black accents in it, the 5000x had less.

To make the case look complete he did have 10 ql fans in it so I wouldn't know what it would look like if you did not occupy all the fan space. I also prefer the water cooling options you have with the 5000x over the 680x and all in all it just looks cleaner on the desk. The 5000x is also cheaper if i remember... If i could be bothered to sign up for image hosting i would have put pics of both builds but im not about that life. If you want to see the pics i'd be happy to share them with you over one drive. PM if interested. But ya... i way prefer the 5000 :)
Thanks for reply...would be great to see the build you did esp with the ql fans..I bought 3 ql120 fans already, going 5000x would mean I'll probably get some more depending on what that build looks like...good thing with the 680x is I could get away with leaving LL120 fans in the front and use ql's on top and 1 for exhaust. When I get laptop up and running will send a PM. Cheers :)

Associate
OP
Hello!

Just tried to do set up a 'conversation' with you but keeps coming up with error, you can't start a conversation with this person, so not sure how to continue...

Associate
I recently moved from a 650d to a 680x. I like how the case hides most of the stuff in the other side. My gripe is as you say it needs to be a bit longer. I have been planning to upgrade to the new intel chips with ddr5 etc and custom water cool loop it. But having now looked at other setups its gonna be tight. Im currently using a 3070 but really i want a 3080ti or around there. I currently only have about 2 inches of space from the 3070 to the front fans. As much as i like the design i think i will change this out again.

Associate
Have you looked at the Corsair 500d Rgb Se, similar size to the 5000X and includes a Commander Pro.

I just bought one for a build I am selling as it's in a Phanteks 719 at the moment but without any watercooling it looks a bit daft with all the empty space.

Just under £91 if you google it at the moment.

Associate
Have you looked at the Corsair 500d Rgb Se, similar size to the 5000X and includes a Commander Pro.

I just bought one for a build I am selling as it's in a Phanteks 719 at the moment but without any watercooling it looks a bit daft with all the empty space.

Just under £91 if you google it at the moment.

Phanteks case would be more suitable for what i'm looking with more 140mm fans options. I'll read into that one more. I'm a Corsair fan but i need to look beyond their stuff

Associate
Got the 5000D Airflow, which ironically was more expensive than the 5000X at the rainforest. 109 x 99.
Odd enough, I like more the visual of the Airflow version.
Coming from O11 XL, I'm very happy with the case.
Just careful as anyone looking for triple rad or a thicker AIO (like the Arctic Freezer II 360) won't be able to mount at the top, unless mounting the fans outside the main chamber.

Associate
OP
Got the 5000D Airflow, which ironically was more expensive than the 5000X at the rainforest. 109 x 99.
Odd enough, I like more the visual of the Airflow version.
Coming from O11 XL, I'm very happy with the case.
Just careful as anyone looking for triple rad or a thicker AIO (like the Arctic Freezer II 360) won't be able to mount at the top, unless mounting the fans outside the main chamber.
How are you finding the difference between the 011xl v the 5000x?

Associate
How are you finding the difference between the 011xl v the 5000x?
The O11 XL was easier to work with. The Corsair takes quite some time to run the cables, but the final result is great.
Temperature wise, the Corsair is better on air, but won't be a match for the O11 if the focus is watercooling, due to the rad support.
All in all, very happy with the case.

Back
Top Bottom