Corsair H100i Installation

Associate
Hello

I want to replace my old CPU heatsink and fan with something less noisy and which would allow me to overclock my CPU. I thought I would get a Corsair H100i but I have some concerns.

I have an Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard which only has one USB header that is currently connected to the USB ports on the front of the case. I understand that the Corsair requires a USB header.

Is there any such thing as a USB header splitter, or am I out of luck?

If there is a way around this problem, do you have any advice regarding the installation of this unit, especially around BIOS settings and such like. I don't want to fry my CPU.

I will be installing this in a Coolermaster HAF X case, if that makes any difference.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ian.

Soldato
Isn't the USB only for Corsair Link software?

You should be fine to run it with the fans attached to the CPU fan header on the motherboard (with a splitter if needed).

If you want the USB conected you could get a adapter cable. (Akasa USB Cable Adapter Internal to External Connector 40cm).

Permabanned

You should be fine to run it with the fans attached to the CPU fan header on the motherboard (with a splitter if needed).

If you want the USB conected you could get a adapter cable. (Akasa USB Cable Adapter Internal to External Connector 40cm).

This, you don't have to plug in any USB on the corsair units at all.

Associate
OP

Indeed, that's what I thought the USB was for, so that the fan speeds can be controlled?

I was reading the instructions for the Corsair on their web site seem to indicate that the pump should be connected to the CPU 4 pin fan header and the fans to a 3 pin fan header.

Wow!! An internal external adapter cable. That should work if I have a free USB port. There never seems to be enough USB ports.

Permabanned
Indeed, that's what I thought the USB was for, so that the fan speeds can be controlled?

I was reading the instructions for the Corsair on their web site seem to indicate that the pump should be connected to the CPU 4 pin fan header and the fans to a 3 pin fan header.

Wow!! An internal external adapter cable. That should work if I have a free USB port. There never seems to be enough USB ports.

Any fans that are used with the Corsair units can be plugged in anywhere, they don't need to be connected to the Unit. I have 4 fans on my h100 all connected to the motherboard.

Associate
OP
You can buy a 9/10-pin usb internal header y splitter cable. Or, as already mentioned, buy another brand AIO and save a tenner.

There is such thing as USB header splitter? Nice. Couldn't find them on Overclockers though, only place I could see them was in the US.

Still considering a different cooler.

Keeping my options open at the moment.

Associate
From what I have read online if you want quieter than air cooling is the way to go. Water cooling gives lower CPU temps but the trade off is more noise. For less than the price of the H100i you will be able to get a near silent air cooler.

Associate
What you can do and what I did with mine when I had one was set up the led fans etc with link installed and usb plugged in etc then simply unplug the usb and remove corsair link and you will find all your setting's including led colour stay intact, even without the usb cable and link software present.

Permabanned
Hello

I want to replace my old CPU heatsink and fan with something less noisy...
If you want less noise and good performance then it is the wrong direction to go with Corsair CLC's. People who put quiet fans on them (like I once did) are loosing out in the performance stakes and it turns them into average/poor coolers. Corsair CLC's need high pressure/rpm (loud) fans to get good performance but with that comes a lot of noise; no matter which brand of fan you put on them. If you want a semblance of silence with great performance then you'd be much better off with a Noctua D15 and the ilk.

Soldato
What about pump noise on these AIO's? I owned a H110I GT for a day before returning it, as when my system was at idle, the pump was the loudest thing in my whole PC, quite annoying.

I wonder which AIO has the quietest pump?

Back
Top Bottom