Corsair rm1000x coil whine - alternative?

Associate
Hey…
Really disappointed with this. The whine even in idle is over bearing and my 10 fans are not noticeable in comparison

never mind when you stress or put load on the pc the noise really increases.
I guess I’m terrible for hearing that type of noise but it literally rings in my head after because I can hear it so much.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that doesn’t suffer such issue. it would appear this model has issues.

cheers

Soldato
Buying a PSU without coil whine is a lottery unfortunately. If you read the OP in the sticky thread at the top of this section @Gibbo does state that. Also are you sure that it is the PSU as it could be GFX card instead. There have been cases here & elsewhere on the internet where the PSU has been changed & it turned out to be the GFX card making the coil whine.

I've never had a problem with PSU's and coil whine over the years, I would say I've been lucky in that regard. I'd suggest any one of these, but there's NO GUARANTEE that they will NOT have coil whine.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,203.96 (includes delivery: £14.10)​

Man of Honour
Is that the old version of the RMx or the 2021 version? I have the 2021 version of the RM850x and it has no coil whine at all, in fact I haven't heard anything from it, not even the fan. Sadly it's pretty much pot luck as to whether you get coil whine from a component these days.

Associate
OP
Is that the old version of the RMx or the 2021 version? I have the 2021 version of the RM850x and it has no coil whine at all, in fact I haven't heard anything from it, not even the fan. Sadly it's pretty much pot luck as to whether you get coil whine from a component these days.
How would I tell if it’s a 2021 version. It’s just been purchased, so would like to think it’s the 2021 version

model is cp-9020094-uk

I did a further test without the GPU in situ.
It was not as noticeable, harder to hear without the GPU , so then it makes you wonder…
So I did a stress test on the pc without the GPU and it was there, not as bad but it was there.

put the GPU back in and it’s noticeable again and then you stress it and it’s really obvious.

It can be misleading but my assumptions at the moment is the GPU requires x Amont of watts just to power it, thus putting more load on psu - more coil whine.

Associate
OP
Quick update
Did various tests including, disconnecting equipment, disabling c state and adjusting bios in case it was my ASUS motherboard

the noise was driving me mad. Ironically the case is to my left and my left ear picks it up so easily, but my right ear doesn’t.

the noise was not as bad in the bios (limited load) but as soon as it started to load windows, obvious frequency change.
was ruining my experience on the PC as was present even in idle and would increase shift frequency when loading a web browser for example

long and short of it, it is the power supply confirmed
Got my older Corsair 750 and that is quiet; you have to go looking for the noise, I.e put good ear next to it , and this is when it’s out of case there is only a slight coil noise as you would expect with this type of thing

anyway my pc is whisper quiet now.

Corsair have approved my RMA. Fingers crossed I don’t get a similar one back. does anyone know if you get a new or refurb back and does it come boxed etc. as I’m sending all of it in including the outer box
Cheers

Associate
OP
Corsair rma is in the uk in another well know shop I can't name.
Ye noticed that, do you know if I would get a replacement including the box etc as I am returning the lot bar the power cable
I have asked Corsair but they have not come back to me yet

Associate
i have the new 850x same as pasty, was nicely reduced before xmas, have no complaints of it. Use the online chat of the store you`re returning it to, they reply fast and will answer your questions.

Associate
Quick update
Did various tests including, disconnecting equipment, disabling c state and adjusting bios in case it was my ASUS motherboard

the noise was driving me mad. Ironically the case is to my left and my left ear picks it up so easily, but my right ear doesn’t.

the noise was not as bad in the bios (limited load) but as soon as it started to load windows, obvious frequency change.
was ruining my experience on the PC as was present even in idle and would increase shift frequency when loading a web browser for example

long and short of it, it is the power supply confirmed
Got my older Corsair 750 and that is quiet; you have to go looking for the noise, I.e put good ear next to it , and this is when it’s out of case there is only a slight coil noise as you would expect with this type of thing

anyway my pc is whisper quiet now.

Corsair have approved my RMA. Fingers crossed I don’t get a similar one back. does anyone know if you get a new or refurb back and does it come boxed etc. as I’m sending all of it in including the outer box
Cheers
Very nice. Does sound odd that it would be so noisy.

If the 750 watt PSU is working for you then why not stick with that?

Soldato
The issue is the cost of sending an RMA to Europe I would think. It wasnt cheap posting a PSU to Holland ten years ago when I had to do so & I did that twice. I wouldn't be too happy having to do that now but now RMA's not having to go abroad anymore would factor in my decision these days as well as other people's.

Back
Top Bottom