Corsair Value Select to fancy RAM?

RLC

RLC

Associate
Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading a few bits on my PC. Mainly boot drive and/or RAM.

My current specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX
CPU: Intel i5 11600K
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
Boot drive: 500Gb Samsung 850 EVO (sata SSD)
Storage drive: WD 1TB
RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Value Select DDR3 @2133MHz each.

Is it worth upgrading the RAM to something fancier like Corsair Vengeance of the 8Pack stuuf (▷ Team Group 8Pack RIPPED Edition 16GB (2x8GB) … | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk))?

I've also considered upgrading the Samsung 850 EVO to a 1TB WD Black Gen4 M2 drive for boot and most commonly used games.

Mainly use my PC for gaming, watching Netflix, following (the painful journey of) Manchester United and also work which mostly revolves around PowerPoint, Word and Excel.

I've got a couple of hundred spare from an unexpected windfall and it's either my PC or treating the missus to a spa day (maybe both).

Any and all advice welcomed.

Yes I'm aware I was an idiot upgrading to the 11600k and Z590 and should have waited for the Z690 and 12600k :(:(

Soldato
keep the money for future cpu / gpu upgrades, i dont see the point in sinking cash into DDR4 anymore if you already have the amount of ram you need

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
keep the money for future cpu / gpu upgrades, i dont see the point in sinking cash into DDR4 anymore if you already have the amount of ram you need

Thanks. I'll save some cash and maybe get an M2 drive instead.

The M2 SSD on my wife's laptop died the other day and so she can maybe have my SSD to replace the HDD storage drive she has.

Her dead M2 SSD is a very small one and I can't find any for sale except AliExpress and I trust that even less than BoJo.

Man of Honour
@RJC

2133mhz is pants for you modern system you want 3200 or 3600mhz memory which can be had for around £60 for 16gb.

Selling your old memory will make it a £30 upgrade for 10 to 20% performance increase (fps), not bad really.

Last edited:

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
@RJC

2133mhz is pants for you modern system you want 3200 or 3600mhz memory which can be had for around £60 for 16gb.

Selling your old memory will make it a £30 upgrade for 10 to 20% performance increase (fps), not bad really.

Pretty compelling. I think the point Dave is making though is I may as well stick the cash into a pot till I can afford to upgrade to the latest gen chipset and the availability of DDR5 ram etc.

But I've got a baby on the way so maybe that wont happen financially?

Associate
You need to re-check what RAM you already have. It's not possible to use ddr3 with an 11600K.

Edit: A lot of people have DDR4 running at 2133 not because its slow ram, but its not set up correctly in the motherboard bios.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You need to re-check what RAM you already have. It's not possible to use ddr3 with an 11600K.

Edit: A lot of people have DDR4 running at 2133 not because its slow ram, but its not set up correctly in the motherboard bios.
Definitely worth checking but I doubt its ddr3 just a typo unless he a genius and managed to get to work :D

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
Normally to almost 5000mhz if you feed it enough voltage, buildzoid does stuff like this in some of his vids.
I might give it a go this weekend. Never tried overclocking RAM before. I'll check out buildzoid's vids.

Thanks to all

Back
Top Bottom