Cost of podiatry (gait analysis)

Caporegime
OP
I wear insoles.
They have corrected my knees completely.
No clue on cost, mine were made in the school of poditry.
They were made using a mould of the soles of feet after gait analysis.
They’ve lasted for 20 years, never been an issue.
No clue on cost now, as mine were free then.

Can I ask what they corrected?

I think I'll go back to gp, see what they say, even suggest it.

Its worth the cost if it works obviously. But this stuff seems like a lottery

Soldato
Can I ask what they corrected?

I think I'll go back to gp, see what they say, even suggest it.

Its worth the cost if it works obviously. But this stuff seems like a lottery

Sure, in my case my knees had a slight inward rotation, leading to overdevelopment of the quad closest to the knee, years of heavy breast stroke probably had this effect also.
The insoles had a similar effect to lifting the arch, rotated the knee out slightly so ligamental pressures were more equal, and walking long distances and running was no longer sore.

Caporegime
OP
Sure, in my case my knees had a slight inward rotation, leading to overdevelopment of the quad closest to the knee, years of heavy breast stroke probably had this effect also.
The insoles had a similar effect to lifting the arch, rotated the knee out slightly so ligamental pressures were more equal, and walking long distances and running was no longer sore.

Thanks a lot for this. It sounds similar to me.
My feet are flat and my knees are slightly misaligned You can see it in mirror and I also 'was' gym/sporty but never thought to address anything at that point.

Its worth checking out I think as I'm sure it stems from misalignment coupled with weights etc

Caporegime
Developed a nasty case of anterior knee pain and was wondering if seeing a podiatrist was worth it.

Not asking for medical advice but more if a quote of 200gbp is right?

This includes gait analysis and cost of insoles.
Is this about right or expensive ?

i'm sure you can see these on the NHS - comes under physiotherapy.

as for insoles. you can buy generic ones for buttons. but they just mask the problem rather than fix it. correct gait and posture and correct technique whilst doing exercises will fix it.

you can of course go private and £200 will depend on how good the person is to gauge if it's worth it or not. i know someone who used a private physio for years paying £30 per session every week. that was more for football injuries (ligaments, etc).

Caporegime
Thanks a lot for this. It sounds similar to me.
My feet are flat and my knees are slightly misaligned You can see it in mirror and I also 'was' gym/sporty but never thought to address anything at that point.

Its worth checking out I think as I'm sure it stems from misalignment coupled with weights etc

if you have flat feet there are cheap insoles which were sold on kickstarter which you can get copies off for buttons if you look around. it's a common issue and a generic insole can "mask" it from being an issue going forward.

Associate
I have plantar fasciitis which I have been trying to sort for the last few months. Got referred to an NHS podiatrist. He watched me walk up and down a few times and had a mess about with my feet before giving me some NHS insoles which I think are pretty much "off the shelf". These made little to no difference (I think they might have actually made it worse). Was in and out fairly quickly.

Recently paid for a private podiatrist in desperation and had a significantly more in depth assessment with several pieces of equipment, pressure plates etc. Was in there for probably about an hour. Through him Igot some custom made carbon fibre insoles which took a few weeks to come (they take a mould of your foot and send it away etc). These certainly seem to be significantly more comfortable but as to whether or not they will help to sort the problem it's too early to say. The downside is it was something like £125 for the assessment and a further £325 for the insoles. Not cheap but I'm at the stage of trying anything at the moment.

Caporegime
OP
I have plantar fasciitis which I have been trying to sort for the last few months. Got referred to an NHS podiatrist. He watched me walk up and down a few times and had a mess about with my feet before giving me some NHS insoles which I think are pretty much "off the shelf". These made little to no difference (I think they might have actually made it worse). Was in and out fairly quickly.

Recently paid for a private podiatrist in desperation and had a significantly more in depth assessment with several pieces of equipment, pressure plates etc. Was in there for probably about an hour. Through him Igot some custom made carbon fibre insoles which took a few weeks to come (they take a mould of your foot and send it away etc). These certainly seem to be significantly more comfortable but as to whether or not they will help to sort the problem it's too early to say. The downside is it was something like £125 for the assessment and a further £325 for the insoles. Not cheap but I'm at the stage of trying anything at the moment.

I know the feeling. Id pay anything to sort this out, but so many dead ends!

Back
Top Bottom