Countries with Best Roads, Infrastructure

Permabanned
OP
not a chance. you couldn't put trams in large parts of london or bristol, for example. there simply isn't the space for more than 2 cars quite often because the buildings are so close together. This is why London has an underground and there isn't one at all in Holland; they can get away with light rail because there's space.

B@

I think underground is Holland is technically very dificult since there you have negative sea levels, and the highest point is only 25 metres above sea level.

Soldato
What not all cities in Holland have trams. And not all cities in UK lack them. Your argument isn't making any sense. The UK also has plenty of space to link cities, towns and villages up with cycle paths and they don't even need to be on the side of the road. And yet very few of them exist.
Most have trams. Holland looks to have at least 50 tram systems, i didn't count:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_town_tramway_systems_in_the_Netherlands

The UK has just 8...
"There are eight tramway/light rail systems in the UK—in Croydon, London's docklands, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham and Blackpool. ":
http://www.thetrams.co.uk/tramsinuk.php

Show me a UK city that has cars, trams, pedestrianisation and independent cycle ways occupying the same space. it's bloody hard because there isn't the space for all that infrastructure (and here's the important bit) between buildings. Linking cities etc.. is irrelevant, we're talking about inner city. You don't need pedestrianisation, cars, tramways and cycle paths linking cities etc.. so my argument makes total sense, thanks.

Trams and massive cycle ways are great, but if we could do that here then we would have. There isn't the space between buildings so we don't. end of.

I think underground is Holland is technically very dificult since there you have negative sea levels, and the highest point is only 25 metres above sea level.
fair

B@

Last edited:
Soldato
I drove to the Nurburgring and back in September, I found that 90% of the roads on the continent (granted I was generally using main roads) were of a very good quality.

Conversely, our roads are a ******* joke and the UK councils etc should be nauseous at the state of our ******* road network.

Soldato
Most have trams. Holland looks to have at least 50 tram systems, i didn't count:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_town_tramway_systems_in_the_Netherlands

The UK has just 8...
"There are eight tramway/light rail systems in the UK—in Croydon, London's docklands, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham and Blackpool. ":
http://www.thetrams.co.uk/tramsinuk.php

Show me a UK city that has cars, trams, pedestrianisation and independent cycle ways occupying the same space. it's bloody hard because there isn't the space for all that infrastructure (and here's the important bit) between buildings. Linking cities etc.. is irrelevant, we're talking about inner city. You don't need pedestrianisation, cars, tramways and cycle paths linking cities etc.. so my argument makes total sense, thanks.

Trams and massive cycle ways are great, but if we could do that here then we would have. There isn't the space between buildings so we don't. end of.

fair

B@

Before modern day tram networks, most cities and even towns had trams and trolley buses (an electric bus with a pantograph and running off overhead wires). Trolley buses don't really need any more spaces than regular buses, they're the same size.

Nottingham's trams weave through some fairly tight sections of inner city and inner city suburbs, take a look on streetview where the route is. The system was designed so trams can negotiate curves with a minimum radius of 18 metres. I've been on it many times, and can assure you- it's tight!

Bristol city centre isn't denser than Nottingham's, it's more spread out if anything. Much of Nottingham city centre's street plan is not later than Victorian, there aren't big, wide boulevards in the city centre (particularly on the tram route).

What has happened in Nottingham is that there have been gradual modifications of traffic flow, increased pedestrianisation, big investment in Park & Ride sites among other things. New schemes work best when there's a synergistic effort.

So I repeat, it's definitely possible, just requires the will and funding.

Soldato
Before modern day tram networks, most cities and even towns had trams and trolley buses (an electric bus with a pantograph and running off overhead wires). Trolley buses don't really need any more spaces than regular buses, they're the same size.
you mean before everyone had a car and they got rid of them all because there wasn't the space for both to operate effectively? Trolley buses don't require extra room but they often occupy room that could otherwise be taken up with cars/buses.

Nottingham's trams weave through some fairly tight sections of inner city and inner city suburbs, take a look on streetview where the route is. The system was designed so trams can negotiate curves with a minimum radius of 18 metres. I've been on it many times, and can assure you- it's tight!
You haven't actually answered my question, is there a DEDICATED area for trams, cyclists, pedestrians and cars in the same space? even if you get that in a few sections in Nottingham it's nothing on how extensive it is in Holland. Provide me an image on Google Street View of Nottingham and these dedicated sections all together please.

Bristol city centre isn't denser than Nottingham's, it's more spread out if anything. Much of Nottingham city centre's street plan is not later than Victorian, there aren't big, wide boulevards in the city centre (particularly on the tram route).
Living in Bristol i can assure you that there is absolutely not room for an effective tram way in the majority of the centre along with cars, bikes and pedestrians - there often isn't even room for dedicated cycle ways. This is the problem, you could stick it in about 300 metres sections before it becomes impractical; there's no chance of a tram working along Cheltenham Road, for instance. It's not a plausible solution due to lack of space. This is exactly the reason that they're looking into building an underground in Bristol right now, they've already established trams won't work.

What has happened in Nottingham is that there have been gradual modifications of traffic flow, increased pedestrianisation, big investment in Park & Ride sites among other things. New schemes work best when there's a synergistic effort.

So I repeat, it's definitely possible, just requires the will and funding.
disagree, there is not the space in most cities for an effective tramway ALONGSIDE cars, cycle paths and pedestrians.

B@

Last edited:
Associate
The thing that gets to me is that in the UK, drivers collectively pay a fortune towards a mandatory road tax. However, when you examine the state of the roads in the country, you can't help but question, is the money paid towards the "road" tax actually being spent on the roads, or is it being used on objects beside the road, i.e. speed cameras - to generate more £££. I lean towards the latter.

Soldato
The thing that gets to me is that in the UK, drivers collectively pay a fortune towards a mandatory road tax. However, when you examine the state of the roads in the country, you can't help but question, is the money paid towards the "road" tax actually being spent on the roads, or is it being used on objects beside the road, i.e. speed cameras - to generate more £££. I lean towards the latter.
this has already been covered in this thread.

B@

Permabanned
OP
I walked by someone fixing a lamp post or perhaps replacing a bulb. When I say someone I mean 2 men on cherry pickers, one guy at the bottom on the lorry, 3 men around with signs and barriers along . There were 6 people there in this tiny area.

I mean can you imagine how long it will take the UK to fix this sink hole?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....-vast-fukuoka-city-sinkhole-repaired-two-days

This is the THIRD time someone posts the same news article. Guys, you must be very impressed by the Japanese.
They are the number one Technologically super advanced country - super power in the world.

Soldato
Not sure about the rest of UK, in london there are road works everywhere.. and if the public knows its to fix roads, no one will moan.

Of course there are, London gets 6 times more per person spent on transport than people in the rest of the UK.

IPPR North annual analysis shows Yorkshire and the Humber will get £190 per head, North East £220, North West £680 and London £1,940 per head for transport from 2016/17 onwards

Only London folk are deserving of investment, everyone knows that. :mad:

Man of Honour
Of course there are, London gets 6 times more per person spent on transport than people in the rest of the UK.

Only London folk are deserving of investment, everyone knows that. :mad:
Oh know spending money on big mass transit projects where you have the highest concentration of people.
Makes perfect sense and I don't live near London.

Soldato
disagree, there is not the space in most cities for an effective tramway ALONGSIDE cars, cycle paths and pedestrians.

Why do the trams need to run alongside cars? Many tram systems are just on-street running, they mix with the traffic. The usual idea is that you want to remove vehicular traffic, rather than just complement it.

As I alluded to before, clever engineering is often used to give trams priority on certain routes into the city, through the city centre, etc. It's normally managed by restricting access to cars, only permitting buses and taxis, the usual.

Of course, an underground system is faster. It's also much more expensive. Hell will freeze over long before Bristol gets an underground. You'd make a start by having a decent bus system.

Caporegime
This is a photo of a road to a hotel in South - East Europe where many UK tourists go every winter :rolleyes: :o :eek: :confused:

Meh, looks like half the roads in Canada.

Road quality is going to be (semi) directly proportional to climate. Significant temperature fluctuations (especially when they go below freezing) and rain/snow cause major damage to road surfaces, not to mention frost heave in places with more than surface frosts.

Mountain roads and roads in places like much of Canada and the North east USA, colder parts of Eastern Europe and Russia are going to take a pounding, far more so than roads through warm, dry deserts (the UAE/SW USA). Places with mixed weather like the UK have a reasonable chance of keeping roads in good condition, but then population density and use make a major impact.

In my experience major roads can usually be better in poorer countries, because they’re newer and used less (alongside usually having more benign climates), but on the flip side the side roads are usually (a lot) worse. More developed countries have more consistent road quality as the state is usually paying for all the roads, whereas the major roads in many poorer countries are in part funded by other countries/organizations (like the EU).

Spain is a reasonable example. It’s got a benign climate in much of it, and most of the main roads are beautiful. Many side roads not so much, with a lot more chance of hitting gravel roads than the UK for example. Look at more extreme examples, Romania is one, and going to even more extreme examples, many African countries have beautiful main roads, but as soon as you leave that main road (paid for by international aid and development funds in most cases) you’re down dirt alley.

Edit: And in response to your suggestion of a universal standard for road, that just wouldn’t work.

Roads are constructed differently in different parts of the world for a reason. Take asphalt for example. It’s composition is very different in a hot area of the world like the UAE/Australia than that used in the UK and parts of Europe. Not just because of local availability of materials (you don’t want to be carting hundreds of tones of granite around the world when there’s a metamorphic rock or limestone that’s just as good nearby for example) but because it needs cope with different environments. Asphalt used in the UK and Europe would melt and buckle in temperatures as high as those seen in the desert, but equally asphalt used in hot deserts wouldn’t last anywhere as long as asphalt currently used in the UK, which is designed for colder climates.

That’s just the surface layer. Again, discounting access to materials road construction in a hot, dry desert needs to be different to road construction in an area with a three foot deep freeze level, or in an area with significant rainfall. Realistically each country, and each project needs to be considered as separate entities because of the variability in climate, environment, load and what it’s being laid on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do the trams need to run alongside cars? Many tram systems are just on-street running, they mix with the traffic. The usual idea is that you want to remove vehicular traffic, rather than just complement it.

As I alluded to before, clever engineering is often used to give trams priority on certain routes into the city, through the city centre, etc. It's normally managed by restricting access to cars, only permitting buses and taxis, the usual.

Because we've been discussing effective transportation infrastructure, the Dutch setup was suggested and I've said the Dutch system won't work here, as pictured below. Even the 70s shot full of cars has a butt ton of space:

Cycling is only so popular since they made the infrastructure rather than the other way around.

Amsterdam in the 70s vs now... fuel crisis made people abandon cars. They built tonnes of cycling infrastructure and made it the most convenient way to travel, naturally people followed.

Look at the last picture, look at the space and look at how ALL forms of transportation co-exist independently. We don't have the room and no amount of planning is going to make existing buildings further apart. We can fit 3 out of 4 means of transportation, at best.

Of course, an underground system is faster. It's also much more expensive. Hell will freeze over long before Bristol gets an underground. You'd make a start by having a decent bus system
I didn't say anything about it being faster, they didn't do it because it was faster (though it is), they did it because they had no choice. And you're correct that hell will freeze over before Bristol gets an underground, but the fact they've dismissed trams and are looking at an underground says it all doesn't it? They are improving the bus system btw, slowly, the Metro Link is eventually going to get moving.

B@

Back
Top Bottom