Covering External Drainage

Associate
Hello!

Earlier this year it became apparent that there was a slight external leak on kitchen drain. The set up is a kitchen drain that goes into the concrete floor and out of the house below ground level, into a gulley (with a hopper providing a vent to atmosphere) before running down into the sewer.

The ground surrounding the gulley was dug up and it was identified that the gulley (and all external pipe work) was concreted into place. I carefully chipped away at the concrete around the hopper and was able to remove it to identify and replace a torn seal. I have left the hole dug exposed for a few months to provide confidence that the leak was resolved. It appears to be (although some brickwork does appear discoloured but I'll save that for another day).

I would like to fill in the hole before winter for provide a bit of protection against the elements. I'd prefer not to concrete the drainage back in, should I ever need to access this again (I was lucky to chip away before without causing any damage and I'd rather not have to do so again!). Is there an alternative? I've read that pea gravel can be used however I am concerned about using this without further opinion - After all, why was it concreted initially?

Note, that currently the ground surrounding this area is soil covered with shingle. In the future I plan to replace this with a driveway but want to leave it for a year or two until I'm confident the above has been solved in case I need to access the area again. At present there is no traffic/foot fall over the area and it is immediately beside the house.

TLDR: External drainage was concreted in place. Does it need to be? Is there a better, more accessible, solution?

Thank you for your help.

Associate
It it were me, I'd backfill it in with cheap 20mm whin chips (or similar) up to the level of the shingle, put down a membrane layer, then put shingle down to blend in.

I personally think the 20mm chips will bind together a bit better and hold in place compared to round pea gravel. But pea gravel would work too.

If it's not an area that's getting a lot of foot traffic, that would work just fine. Especially if you plan on taking it back out.

Back
Top Bottom