CPanel Hosting

Soldato
SSL should be included at no cost - if a provider charges extra for that then don't go with them (aka GoDaddy and 123-reg)

AllHost which a few members here use
Krystal are top-tier.
100% avoid: GoDaddy, BlueHost, IONOS, 123-reg, Heart.

Soldato

Krystal all day long.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, looking at Krystal on trust pilot it does seem the way to go and at £5 a month inc VAT for the annual plan inc an SSL certificate it would be cheaper than any new plan with my current provider that included an SSL, just a little stingy on disk space compared to other providers though tsohost starts at 100GB of SSD space.

If I move my domains to them, will they force me to configure DNS through cpanel if I use their nameservers? I really like my domains/dns records to be separate and configured outside of cpanel because all my DNS records ended up being wiped when my previous cpanel hosting package was cancelled and I had to set them up again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, looking at Krystal on trust pilot it does seem the way to go and at £5 a month inc VAT for the annual plan inc an SSL certificate it would be cheaper than any new plan with my current provider that included an SSL, just a little stingy on disk space compared to other providers though tsohost starts at 100GB of SSD space.

If I move my domains to them, will they force me to configure DNS through cpanel if I use their nameservers? I really like my domains/dns records to be separate and configured outside of cpanel because all my DNS records ended up being wiped when my previous cpanel hosting package was cancelled and I had to set them up again.

From what I remember Krystal have 2 different nameserver setups one for cPanel hosting and one if you use their standalone DNS, it's still in house but built on a different system to the cPanel hosting.

Soldato

Nope, you can use your own nameservers if you wish, you'd just point the A records/SPF/etc to the shared IP visible in the cPanel interface or provided to you in the handover email.

Caporegime
OP
From what I remember Krystal have 2 different nameserver setups one for cPanel hosting and one if you use their standalone DNS, it's still in house but built on a different system to the cPanel hosting.

Perfect, I have just moved my domains over to them and set them to use the standalone Krystal DNS servers which seem to be working fine, just having issues deleting some DNS entries though, for example trying to delete an @ TXT record for my Microsoft ID keeps giving me an error message saying it can't be deleted. Any ideas? I've opened a support ticket.

Soldato
Perfect, I have just moved my domains over to them and set them to use the standalone Krystal DNS servers which seem to be working fine, just having issues deleting some DNS entries though, for example trying to delete an @ TXT record for my Microsoft ID keeps giving me an error message saying it can't be deleted. Any ideas? I've opened a support ticket.

That was a issue several years ago with their standalone DNS which made me move all our domains to a different provider as you had to get support to delete any DNS records, shame it doesn't sound like they've fixed it after all this time.

Caporegime
OP
That was a issue several years ago with their standalone DNS which made me move all our domains to a different provider as you had to get support to delete any DNS records, shame it doesn't sound like they've fixed it after all this time.

I asked support about this:

Hi, I'm having a bit of a play about with your DNS configurator, but one problem I'm running into is that I cannot seem to delete entries?

For example I get an error saying "Could not delete DNS record"

Unfortunately that would be a current bug with our DNS hosting service, but should be resolved when we migrate the DNS only service to our Katapult infrastructure.

Is there an ETA for the migration of the DNS service? I'm just trying out some things at the moment so I'll get back to you on the deletions required when finished.

Unfortunately not, this is likely going to be finalised once we have moved the majority of our infrastructure to Katapult

Soldato
I asked support about this:

Hi, I'm having a bit of a play about with your DNS configurator, but one problem I'm running into is that I cannot seem to delete entries?

For example I get an error saying "Could not delete DNS record"

Is there an ETA for the migration of the DNS service? I'm just trying out some things at the moment so I'll get back to you on the deletions required when finished.

Welp same reply I had 2 - 3 years ago when I used to use them.

Permabanned

There's a review section here..Not sure how up to it is.

Associate
I've just been researching how to do this. I've had a simple site with TSO for around 8 years, which I barely touched after setting it up. I think I was on a cloud platform at ~£35 for 2 years. They recently moved me over to shared hosting and cpanel and bumped the cost.

My wife asked me to create a website for her so I upgraded the hosting from economy to deluxe (it said I would get a free domain name but that didn't happen and despite screenshot support said no) and got my head around Wordpress. This lead to me updating my own site to wordpress one and adding contact form. I decided to see if I could get SSL working. It appears support for a free LetsEncrypt certificate was dropped when I was migrated to shared hosting, not that I ever used it before.

Now I do want it but can't. TSO will not help at all. I've read tutorials about SSH (which I can do) and installing certbot etc. but cannot get it to work. TSO want another £100+ to cover 2 sites per year with SSL.

I had another issue where I couldn't add to my DNS record to let me access google search console. For some reason my nameservers for my site are set to customer ones. I changed them to default which allowed me to access GSC but that broke my site.

Does anyone know how to get LetsEncrypt working with TSOhost?

I see they offer SSL with wordpress hosting. Would I be better of moving over to this? Would there be any limitations going forward? (I send out emails and store images on my website that display in the emails. Could I still do this?)

If not can anyone recommend another host where SSL is included or at least not a high priced add on?

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I do want it but can't. TSO will not help at all.
Purely done to upsell as they can enable it via AutoSSL or Let's Encrypt modules if they wanted.
Unfortunately your SSH will be locked down to your userspace so you're only real option if you wanted to stay with that Tso package is to either purchase one from them or purchase an SSL certificate from FreeSSL or Comodo (or similar) for £3-5p/y and use the SSL/TLS module to add it.

Personally, get out and move elsewhere; TsoHost are a bunch of ***** and hosting companies like Stablepoint, Allhost, Krystal are vastly superior.

Associate
I think my hosting renews mid/late July so will have a look around.

Since I changed my site the listing I google was all messed up. I have finally managed to get google to remove dead links, although it says this is temporary? I've been getting my head around SEO and using Yoast to try and improve how my site appears on google so hopefully I can get it sorted.

Caporegime
OP
I've just been researching how to do this. I've had a simple site with TSO for around 8 years, which I barely touched after setting it up. I think I was on a cloud platform at ~£35 for 2 years. They recently moved me over to shared hosting and cpanel and bumped the cost.

My wife asked me to create a website for her so I upgraded the hosting from economy to deluxe (it said I would get a free domain name but that didn't happen and despite screenshot support said no) and got my head around Wordpress. This lead to me updating my own site to wordpress one and adding contact form. I decided to see if I could get SSL working. It appears support for a free LetsEncrypt certificate was dropped when I was migrated to shared hosting, not that I ever used it before.

Now I do want it but can't. TSO will not help at all. I've read tutorials about SSH (which I can do) and installing certbot etc. but cannot get it to work. TSO want another £100+ to cover 2 sites per year with SSL.

I had another issue where I couldn't add to my DNS record to let me access google search console. For some reason my nameservers for my site are set to customer ones. I changed them to default which allowed me to access GSC but that broke my site.

Does anyone know how to get LetsEncrypt working with TSOhost?

I see they offer SSL with wordpress hosting. Would I be better of moving over to this? Would there be any limitations going forward? (I send out emails and store images on my website that display in the emails. Could I still do this?)

If not can anyone recommend another host where SSL is included or at least not a high priced add on?

You need to alter your DNS records from within cPanel, tsohost and some other providers force you to use nameservers that point to the hosting product, this is one reason I moved away from TSOhost.

Back
Top Bottom