• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU and VR

Associate
All,

I currently have a 4770k (at 4.3) with Z87 Sabertooth mobo and RAM (not sure of speed). I use an EVGA FTW 1080.

My main game is IL2 in the Rift with all graphics settings maxxed but fps drops below 45. I could drop the graphics but would rather not.

I'm mulling over switching to an 8700k oc with the assorted gains from a new mobo and faster RAM etc. I will go to a 2080 when they're out.

Will there be a tangible benefit with a CPU etc upgrade?

Cheers

H

Associate
OP
MSI Afterburner reports the CPU use at 60, though the cores show between 58 and 80. GPU spikes at 98/99.

I don't understand the interplay between the CPU/GPU and the Rift. I get that a better GPU always helps because it is rendering 2 screens etc, but would a better CPU (and improvement from bus speeds, faster RAM and soon) help with everything else and ultimately up the fps? Would it take some load from the GPU?

H

Associate
OP
Ok so GPU spiking at 99 might mean a very short term frame drop, but CPU at 50+ all the time might mean it isn’t shoving data to the GPU quick enough for the GPU to render at a high FPS? So the GPU is rendering half the frames that it could?

Or something like that...?

H

Back
Top Bottom