• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU and VR

Associate
All,

I currently have a 4770k (at 4.3) with Z87 Sabertooth mobo and RAM (not sure of speed). I use an EVGA FTW 1080.

My main game is IL2 in the Rift with all graphics settings maxxed but fps drops below 45. I could drop the graphics but would rather not.

I'm mulling over switching to an 8700k oc with the assorted gains from a new mobo and faster RAM etc. I will go to a 2080 when they're out.

Will there be a tangible benefit with a CPU etc upgrade?

Cheers

H

Associate
OP
MSI Afterburner reports the CPU use at 60, though the cores show between 58 and 80. GPU spikes at 98/99.

I don't understand the interplay between the CPU/GPU and the Rift. I get that a better GPU always helps because it is rendering 2 screens etc, but would a better CPU (and improvement from bus speeds, faster RAM and soon) help with everything else and ultimately up the fps? Would it take some load from the GPU?

H

Associate
Games rarely use all cores so chances are if the CPU is showing 60-80% it is working pretty hard, 50% is equivalent to 4 threads maxed which might be all the game uses? If your GPU is pegged at 99% all the time then it is working as hard as it can and even if you had a faster CPU you would get no more performance.

In simple terms you can think of it this way the CPU does setting up the scene and the GPU the rendering the scene, the CPU needs to be quick enough to feed the GPU, and the GPU the needs to be quick enough to render that scene in your target frame rate, if the GPU is at 99% it is going as fast as it can.

So it's likely you need a faster GPU, the tricky part is figuring out what is faster for VR.

Associate
OP
Ok so GPU spiking at 99 might mean a very short term frame drop, but CPU at 50+ all the time might mean it isn’t shoving data to the GPU quick enough for the GPU to render at a high FPS? So the GPU is rendering half the frames that it could?

Or something like that...?

H

Associate
Pretty much, though it is a bit more complex CPU side as games aren’t coded to use all threads available.

If the GPU wasn’t getting enough data, it would be at say 50-70% so yes you would need a stronger CPU, if it is high >97% all the time then it might be that the CPU is waiting to give the GPU data.

Associate
I'm in the same boat as my main game is IL2 in VR and I need an upgrade

If you take a look at this thread https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/

You'll see a direct comparison between various systems all recorded here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k/edit#gid=1870565807

As you can see the better processors including the 8700k are ripping it up, likewise faster memory. I've read several threads on reddit that faster memory can directly influence flying / driving simulators in VR.

Associate
Doesn't look that clear cut due to mix of GPUs, the slower CPUs are often paired with less capable GPUs, there is a standout guy with an 8700k.

I have IL-2 Sturmovik:1946, haven't played it for years, is that the same IL2, or is there a new one. I don't have a PC VR though, I wonder if my PSVR can work on PC.

Last edited:
Associate
Its all on the Rift / Vive and IL2 Battle of Stalingrad.

I think if you were to study it in detail you'll see its mainly CPU / memory orientated in the fps stakes. The better or overclocked CPUS are ruling the roost in VR and the OP with his 1080 is perfectly suited to a CPU upgrade. There are 1080's and a 1070 up there but there's a casing point with a guy who upgraded his CPU, kept his 1070 and is competing with the rest.

Its a long thread and at the risk of sounding dismissive you need to play the game in VR and look at the gain you get in in game settings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom