CPU Block for 3700X?

Permabanned
Hey Chaps,

Moving back to team AMD with a 3700X from a 4790k and wanting to use my existing loop! I've a small EK pump/res as well as a 240mm radiator. Just wanting my CPU under water as it looks cool (and my Windforce 1080 is cool enough).

I've not decided on a motherboard yet, but what block is a good one for my CPU? Do I need to be careful of anything (I've heard mixing metals is bad etc).

Would a Ek-Velocity Copper & Plexi do?

Be good enough? Don't need RGB, enough lighting going on as it is!

Soldato
I can't find the chart now, but in a lab test EK went from near best performer with the Supremacy EVO to near worst performer with the Velocity, to the tune of almost 3 degrees performance drop. It's not like they're bad blocks or anything, but 3 degrees in a water loop is a lot to some people. Have a look at Heatkiller and Corsair blocks as well. But as long as it's AM4 mount you're fine.

Also "mixing metals" can be a major issue or a non-issue. There's no point in taking the risk by using copper blocks with aluminium radiators (for example), but a lot of pre-mix coolants have corrosion inhibitors in them as well as the biocides so it's not really an issue. Nickel plating doesn't count as mixing metals, but if you have a Nickel plated block, do not use silver kill coils.

Permabanned
OP
I can't find the chart now, but in a lab test EK went from near best performer with the Supremacy EVO to near worst performer with the Velocity, to the tune of almost 3 degrees performance drop. It's not like they're bad blocks or anything, but 3 degrees in a water loop is a lot to some people. Have a look at Heatkiller and Corsair blocks as well. But as long as it's AM4 mount you're fine.

Also "mixing metals" can be a major issue or a non-issue. There's no point in taking the risk by using copper blocks with aluminium radiators (for example), but a lot of pre-mix coolants have corrosion inhibitors in them as well as the biocides so it's not really an issue. Nickel plating doesn't count as mixing metals, but if you have a Nickel plated block, do not use silver kill coils.

Awsome stuff, thanks man! Will look at the corsair ones then i think and double-check to see what RAD I have :)

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom