1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Block for 3700X?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by gradyhawks, Oct 31, 2019.

1. gradyhawks

Wise Guy

Hey Chaps,

Moving back to team AMD with a 3700X from a 4790k and wanting to use my existing loop! I've a small EK pump/res as well as a 240mm radiator. Just wanting my CPU under water as it looks cool (and my Windforce 1080 is cool enough).

I've not decided on a motherboard yet, but what block is a good one for my CPU? Do I need to be careful of anything (I've heard mixing metals is bad etc).

Would a Ek-Velocity Copper & Plexi do?

Be good enough? Don't need RGB, enough lighting going on as it is!

2. LePhuronn

Mobster

I can't find the chart now, but in a lab test EK went from near best performer with the Supremacy EVO to near worst performer with the Velocity, to the tune of almost 3 degrees performance drop. It's not like they're bad blocks or anything, but 3 degrees in a water loop is a lot to some people. Have a look at Heatkiller and Corsair blocks as well. But as long as it's AM4 mount you're fine.

Also "mixing metals" can be a major issue or a non-issue. There's no point in taking the risk by using copper blocks with aluminium radiators (for example), but a lot of pre-mix coolants have corrosion inhibitors in them as well as the biocides so it's not really an issue. Nickel plating doesn't count as mixing metals, but if you have a Nickel plated block, do not use silver kill coils.

3. gradyhawks

Wise Guy

Awsome stuff, thanks man! Will look at the corsair ones then i think and double-check to see what RAD I have :)

Thanks.

4. Space Monkey

Don

Watercool for the best (build quality & performance) then XSPC, I won't touch EK blocks again unless they start making them better not worse!