CPU, Board & RAM for GTX 1660

Associate
Hey guys, I bought a GTX 1660 OC and long story short bricked my old motherboard. So now I'm looking for some new hardware to go with it.

Coming from an i5 2500k, 2x 4gb 1600Mhz RAM & a GTX 570 there's almost a decades worth of upgrades to choose from!

Parts I have;
Case: Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower
PSU: Corsair HX 650W ATX Modular SLI Compliant
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120gb
HDD: WD 1tb Black
WiFI Card: TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Cheaper is better as I only really want to play Path of Exile just now so it doesn't have to be up to much! :p

Thanks.

Soldato
Good and cheap. And apparently Ryzen users are experiencing up to 10% improvement after a Windows update.

B450 Carbon Pro would come with a very good upgrade to your wifi, in case you're not getting particularly good speeds (relative to your internet package and other equipment).

Associate
OP
Good and cheap. And apparently Ryzen users are experiencing up to 10% improvement after a Windows update.

B450 Carbon Pro would come with a very good upgrade to your wifi, in case you're not getting particularly good speeds (relative to your internet package and other equipment).

Hmm I could go for the Carbon Pro, my TP-Link card is about 10 years old after all.

Also, this GTX 1660 was sort of an impulse buy cause I wanted to order before the next day delivery cutoff. Not to mention it looked like the packaging had been opened already :/

If I were to return it, is there a better option for around £220 or less?

Man of Honour
If I were to return it, is there a better option for around £220 or less?
spend a bit extra and get a vega 56.
a bit pricey at the moment though. i'd wait till it drops to £250.
i wouldn't get the asrock phantom vega 56 as it'll blow your eardrums.

or alternatively, wait until nvidia releases their rtx super lineup, and/or amd releases their navi lineup.
should see prices drop somewhat according to rumours.
(probably the better choice...not long now)

Soldato
Ryzen 2600 is a bit of a side grade from i5 k overclocked . Specially if your rocking 4.3-5ghz overclock.

Some of the most recent AAA titles will benefit from the extra cores. Hyper threading doesn't make to much difference in gaming, and often more Physical cores are better then more threads. I.e 6 core 6 thread i5 beats i7 4 core 8 threads etc .

Personally would wait till July and pick up the faster 3600 non X version. Slap it on a B450 or cheapish x470 to save cash . But careful with bios....
Only Gigabyte offer to flash Bios for free as UK based. Others will either have to get boot kit from AMD or pay Reseller to check/install latest bios

Or even cheaper. I7 2700k when every sells up for ryzen 3*** series

Guessing your also gaming at 1080p ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
spend a bit extra and get a vega 56.
a bit pricey at the moment though. i'd wait till it drops to £250.

Sounds good, I'll do that.

Ryzen 2600 is a bit of a side grade from i5 k overclocked . Specially if your rocking 4.3-5ghz overclock.

See I was thinking this cause I was running it at 4.5Ghz, will also wait for the 3600 to launch then I'll decide from there.

Thanks guys!

Soldato
Sounds good, I'll do that.

See I was thinking this cause I was running it at 4.5Ghz, will also wait for the 3600 to launch then I'll decide from there.

Thanks guys!

thinking more and more, 3600x is going to be a beast of a chip! know everyone is banging on about 12 cores and 16... but hopefully the performance to cost will blow high end and intel out the water for ££ to performance

@tamzzy

https://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-super-2060-looks-to-compete-with-the-amd-rx-5700-xt/

interesting - cant get anything out of any vendor in regards to nvidia :(

Man of Honour
See I was thinking this cause I was running it at 4.5Ghz, will also wait for the 3600 to launch then I'll decide from there
2500k at 4.5ghz is a low clock.
Ryzen 2600 at stock precision boost would be a jump in performance.
I'd agree if you had a 2600k that it's a sidegrade...but for a 2500k, it's an upgrade. A smaller upgrade when compared to the 3600 (from what we've seen), but still an upgrade nonetheless

Back
Top Bottom