• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Decision

Associate
Hi very new to PC building and cant get my head around do i go AMD or Intel. I know this is a touchy subject but could do with guidance. I know the new AMD 9000 series is out shortly but what are peoples views on choices? I want something that is future proof for upgrading

Soldato
What is your budget, and what exactly do you intend to use the PC for?

Gaming, if so what sort of games and at what resolution?

Work related task, and if so what exactly?

Soldato
AMD are the only ones who have confirmed support for their current stuff until 2027 for dropping newer chips in, no one knows if Intel will do the same with the new socket and 15th gen launch.

Main question would be what's your budget.

Man of Honour
Hi very new to PC building and cant get my head around do i go AMD or Intel. I know this is a touchy subject but could do with guidance. I know the new AMD 9000 series is out shortly but what are peoples views on choices? I want something that is future proof for upgrading
If you're looking at 13th or 14th gen, don't, they're broken until confirmed otherwise.

As said above though, we need your budget and use case because it is impossible to recommend anything effectively when we don't know that.

Associate
OP
Budget is 2k and purely for gaming and internet surfing. Gaming will be 1440p with some 4k. Games will be AAA and MMO like Star Citizen.

Associate
OP
What is your budget, and what exactly do you intend to use the PC for?

Gaming, if so what sort of games and at what resolution?

Work related task, and if so what exactly?
Budget is 2k and purely for gaming and internet surfing. Gaming will be 1440p with some 4k. Games will be AAA and MMO like Star Citizen.

Associate
Future proofing… AMD then.

Associate
I would go with AMD 7800X3D personally. If you need more performance in a couple years, sell it and drop in a 3D cache version of the Zen5 that will be dropping in a few months.

Associate
I'd look at the 9700x when i launches next month. Assuming it's cheap and fast it should be an option. But tbh 7800x3d is likely to be just as fast or faster in many games and maybe cheaper. If you can wait a few months the rumoured 9800x3d might beat all of the above.

All of that said unless you're running higher end graphics cards on lower resolutions. There's often very little practical difference between the majority of mid range and up cpus in purely gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
id second the above, at the moment you just cant go intel due to the 13th and 14th gen issues, even if intel do a recall what are they going to replace it with. more broken 13 and 14th gen? it could take them months to come up with a solution

Last edited:
Soldato
For games: 7700 or 7800X3D.
For work: 7950X.
At this point I would wait till the end of August after the new AMD chips have hit, 7x chips may get a price drop or games bundle.

Back
Top Bottom