CPU Fan ramps up on Youtube.

Soldato
Hey,

So a bizarre one here,For some reason if i watch YouTube videos on the PC the CPU fan will ramp up significantly,If i pause the video it goes back down almost immediately...resume back up again.

Temps are well in check,I have a 11700K at stock with a beefy Noctua cooler and dont really see why its doing this?

HHwNoAV.png

I reset the Min and Max temp then started the you tube video and watched till the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey,i assume you mean Multi Core enhancement?

not sure il see in the bios,Will disabling this cause not so high frequency's though? Its rather nice seeing the 11700K boost to its 5GHZ :D

EDIT - its called "enhanced multi core performance" apparently on gigabyte boards,It was enabled already on mine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was just wondering if it was causing your CPU to spin up a lot more than necessary, though I'd have thought it more likely that the graphics card would be the one spooling up when watching video, unless hardware accelerated is disabled in your browser, or it uses something it can't decode.

Associate
I'd have thought it more likely that the graphics card would be the one spooling up when watching video, unless hardware accelerated is disabled in your browser, or it uses something it can't decode.
i was about to suggest this, the fans on my 3070 fe can get quite loud watching youtube, esspecially if i just hover my mouse over video thumbnails and they star playing.

Soldato
OP
I was just wondering if it was causing your CPU to spin up a lot more than necessary, though I'd have thought it more likely that the graphics card would be the one spooling up when watching video, unless hardware accelerated is disabled in your browser, or it uses something it can't decode.
Just had a look in Chrome and hardware acceleration in Chrome is enabled.
Are you using dark theme on YouTube? if you are disable ambient mode and see if your fans spin up then.
No pal,Just the regular YouTube.
i was about to suggest this, the fans on my 3070 fe can get quite loud watching youtube, esspecially if i just hover my mouse over video thumbnails and they star playing.
Its strange as my system seems to be using CPU instead of GPU..with hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome.

Man of Honour
Just had a look in Chrome and hardware acceleration in Chrome is enabled.
That's weird it uses the CPU instead of the GPU. Your card supports decode for pretty much everything, I think, so it shouldn't be that it doesn't know what to do with it.

Only other thing I can suggest is having a look at the fan profiles, or if you can change the temp it uses. You might be able to slow how reactive it is to temperature changes, or how aggressively it ramps.

Soldato
OP
Does it do it with embedded YouTube videos? Can you try a non chromium browser such as Firefox?
I've just gave Firefox a try and BAM...no sudden ramp up of CPU fan speeds while watching you tube,Even watching in 4k it just stays the same nice and quiet...so it must be something to do with chromium based browsers i assume maybe a bug or something :confused:
Il just use Firefox now as that seems to have resolved the issue.

That's weird it uses the CPU instead of the GPU. Your card supports decode for pretty much everything, I think, so it shouldn't be that it doesn't know what to do with it.

Only other thing I can suggest is having a look at the fan profiles, or if you can change the temp it uses. You might be able to slow how reactive it is to temperature changes, or how aggressively it ramps.
Before giving Firefox a try above,I played with the fan profiles and didn't really notice a difference setting my CPU fan speeds in bios from "Normal" to "Silent" when they speed up its bizarre.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is so bizarre its now doing it in Brave browser..

thought id try brave as it has better privacy options and ad blocking.

Now full screen the fans don't ramp up, but if i go over thumbnail's in YouTube without clicking them and they play the fan ramps up.

i just baffled to why YouTube is causing my systems CPU fan to ramp up like what is it doing..it doesn't go this high when playing battlefield lol.

Back
Top Bottom