CPU fan won't spin

Associate
Hi, just finished putting it all together and my arctic freezer 7 pro does not spin on startup. I'm using a gigabyte ds3 mobo and, yes, the fan is plugged into the cpu_fan socket. It doesn't move at all but i do get the single beep on before i turn in off.

Has anyone else had this problem with this cooler? Should i try replacing it with the stock fan?

Soldato
Dont worry about it. My mates same cooler did it on his DS4, the CPU just doesn't get hot enough for it to turn on lol, it spins when its good and ready (we checked bios straight away and checked the temps and they was fine).

Oops, just re-read your post, does it never turn on at all, not even when you get to windows/start using your CPU?

Associate
OP
I havnt even got to the bios yet! i turned it on and thought if it doesnt spin then should cut power- is it ok to go through to the bios then and change the pwm settings? Just to check its definately not gonna fry my cpu if it doesnt spin!?

Soldato
Best way to check is to turn the PWM control in the BIOS to Maximum, or off (Whatever gets it going at full pelt). That way you know the fan works. My Tuniq doesnt even get warm when i turn the fan off. Unless its loaded at full, and even then it barely warms it.

Soldato
I had a similar experience what I put this machine together the other day. P35 m/board and an E6600 with the stock cooler. Powered the machine up with the side off to make sure everything spun up like it should, and the CPU fan did, but only for a seccond, thn stopped. I flew for the power button but thought I'd see what happened. Sure enough, as it got further through the BIOS screen it kicked in. Gave me a bloody heart attack !

Soldato
fobose said:
My mates same cooler did it on his DS4, the CPU just doesn't get hot enough for it to turn on lol

It's true - I have a e6600 and I got my overclock stable at 3.4GHz before I realised my CPU fan was being blocked by a wire and hadn't been spinning for months! And temps never really went about 55 degrees...

-RaZ

Soldato
Same thing happened with me today. Fan kept going on and off was ****ing in a total panic but it seems it only goes on when its actually having to process something. Once the system fully kicks in the fan stays on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
8 degrees????? are you outside or something???

Yeah, this reading is a bit worrying isn't it... The system temp was reading about 30 but the cpu temp has been around 10-15 degrees- and this is in the bios. I was hoping to overclock sometime but with a dodgy sensor i'm not too sure :confused:

Associate
OP
Ok just checked the temps in the bios again and have 42 for the system temp and 25 for the cpu temp. I would be surprised if the room temp was much below 25degrees. Is this a normal reading for the cpu given this system temp and is there anything i can do if the sensor is underreading?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom