• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU for Microsoft Exchange 2007 server

Associate
Can someone please advise, which is the better processor to run an Exchange 2007 server with therefore Server 2003 64bit.

Quad Core Intel Xeon E5320 1.86Ghz
Quad Core Intel Xeon E5335 2.0Ghz
Dual Core Intel Xeon 5150 2.66Ghz

Thanks

Depends really. I wouldn't have thought Exchange would make much use of multiple cores but then isn't 2007 now based on an SQL Server back-end database engine? If so then how are they handling multi-processor and multi-core licensing?

Even taking this into account, I'd stick with the dual-core tbh. I think memory and network bandwidth are going to prove much more of a bottleneck with most Exchange installations.

Depends on

1, Number of Users & Mailboxes
2, What else your running on the box (Anti-Spam, AV, Email Archiving etc)

But to be honest disk I/O is the main factor to consider with Exchange not processing power.

BTW Exchange still uses the JET engine.

It will be running groupshield with the AV and Spam software, but that's about it really.

Just seemed odd that it was an extra £140 to go for the 2.66 dual core over the 1.86 quad and then an extra £20 to go for the 2.0 quad.

Just want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks

J1nxy said:
But to be honest disk I/O is the main factor to consider with Exchange not processing power.

What he said. Our exchange server (running around 300-400 users) doesnt ever use much CPU at all. All the anti-virus checking is does at a front end mail server so we don't have to worry about as well.

If price is an issue you would be better off getting the cheaper quad and then using the spare cash to upgrade disks/RAM.

ok cheers.

Gone for Quad 1.8, 4gb ram and then 2 73 and 2 146 SAS drives. The old box which was going to be it is spec'd as a Dual 2.66, 2gb ram and same drives. This will become an ISA/WSUS/AV server.

Thanks for help

Back
Top Bottom