• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU/NB Frequency & HT Link Speed

Soldato
Recently upgraded to AMD FX processor & was just wondering if I need to manually set my CPU/NB Frequency & HT Link Speed on the motherboard? Currently both are set on Auto & seem to be running at 2000MHz.

Spec:
  • AMD FX-6300
  • Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
  • Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB DDR3-1600

Soldato
You can do either of two things,

manually change the setting in bios to 2400Mhz or thereabouts.

manually change the bus clock above 200MHz although that will also change the memory bus and the CPU frequency. This will overclock the system and could result in changes to voltages and timings.

Associate
You can if you want, by just inputting whatever speed you want. You do see some small gains, but if you haven't overclocked the chip then you should do that first

Soldato
OP
Want to keep it at stock. Let me rephrase the question: with an FX processor should the CPU/NB Frequency be running at 2000Mhz or higher?

XLVZJ7w.jpg

Soldato
Any frequency up to the HT link frequency should be OK, I normally set both to 2400MHz for no scientific reason. It may make a small diffeence increasing it. I used to have the same motherboard as you with an 8350 in and I used 2400-2500 for both clocks.

Back
Top Bottom