"CPU Over Temperature Error!"

Associate
Hi all,

Full disclosure, I am hopeless when it comes to this stuff, so I am hoping the Hive Brain here can help me or maybe even Overlockers Staff can help!

About 4 years ago I bought a Gaming PC Bundle from Overclockers. Never had any issues with it at all until today when my PC suddenly kept shutting down.

Now it won't restart anymore, I am getting the "CPU Over Temperature Error!" message at start up with an option to press F1 to Run Setup.

When I press F1 I can see the CPU is actually at 93C but all the fans are running at around 1500RPM.
It won't let me stay in the Setup for long, eventually the whole PC shuts down, I assume that is because of the CPU getting too hot.

I opened the case to see if maybe the fans are not working properly but they are as far as I can tell.
However, the CPU also uses a Watercooling System and I noticed one of the two tubes is very, very hot to the touch whereas the other one is not... I do not know if that is normal or if there is perhaps an issue/blockage of sorts which causes an issue with the water circulation, if that is even possible in such a closed system?

I literally know nothing about Watercooling/this kind of stuff which is why I went with a pre-built bundle to begin with. I amm absolutely dreading that the CPU might already be fried and I have no idea how to solve this.

Does anyone here have any pointers/ideas/solutions?

Here are all the components of the system (if that helps):

PC.png

Associate
I opened the case to see if maybe the fans are not working properly but they are as far as I can tell.
However, the CPU also uses a Watercooling System and I noticed one of the two tubes is very, very hot to the touch whereas the other one is not... I do not know if that is normal or if there is perhaps an issue/blockage of sorts which causes an issue with the water circulation, if that is even possible in such a closed system?

I literally know nothing about Watercooling/this kind of stuff which is why I went with a pre-built bundle to begin with. I amm absolutely dreading that the CPU might already be fried and I have no idea how to solve this.

This is a 360mm all in one cooler? It looks like the pump has failed or water has escaped over time.

It may be that you just need to replace the CPU cooling system.

Don't switch it back on till you have done so.

I'm sure someone else with more experiance will give a better answer as I have not had any of my AIO coolers fail yet but I know they can.

Soldato
Post in Customer Service forum if you want staff's help. Or ring them.

Jimmy321's advice is good - don't turn it back on until the liquid cooler is replaced.

Soldato
There's no maintenance free long term reliable watertube cooling and most failures lead to such symptoms of catastrophic loss of cooling.
(you avoided the absolute worst case of leak frying PC parts)
Some Asus X99 boards have been known to have cases of sanity loss overvolting CPU to dangerous volts. But with working cooling that wouldn't cause instant overheating when attempting boot.

One tube being hot and other cold tells there's some attempt of coolant movement.
But with proper coolant flow that heat should reach all the way to radiator.
If pump had failed completely both tubes should be basically equally warm.
Again if mounting of CPU block failed then tubes wouldn't be warm at all.

Soldato
Water cooling is fine but you shouldn’t expect the parts to last forever. The easiest thing to do in your situation would be to remove the water cooling setup (assuming it’s an all in one) and fit a decent air cooler. It’s not particularly difficult :)

Soldato
It's worth seeing what's actually gone wrong with the cooler - it could be air in the pump which you can work around for a few days while you source a cooler. Move the PC around - does it make sloshing noises? Does the pump make any noise while powered up? Try and manipulate the PC so any water will fall into the pump and any air will rise away from it towards the radiator. Basically the pump should not be at a high point in the loop.

If you suspect the pump is dead, leave the PC to fully cool down for a few hours or more. Boot it up into BIOS - bear in mind you only have a little time before it heats up. Try to get a speed reading on the pump via its header on the motherboard. Might be listed as a fan header.

Associate
Closed loops can get blocked up with air pockets, but it's quite rare, you would have probably heard "gurgling" noises on start up for a while, indicating the presence of air before it actually lodges itself in a pump stopping position. It's strange that the CPU is hitting 93C on boot into settings, but if the temp is not dissipated equally through your cooling loop there is definitely an issue with it. I agree with the previous posts, if it were mine, I'd take the whole water loop out and give it a good shake up! or at least a few full turns upside down and back, see if it helps before buying a new closed loop.
Good luck.

Associate
It maybe possible for one of the screws to have come loose and therefore not be making contact with the cpu fully. Only reason I can think of, if booting into bios and getting 93c that quickly. so check the 4 thumb screws around the cpu :)

Soldato
It maybe possible for one of the screws to have come loose and therefore not be making contact with the cpu fully. Only reason I can think of, if booting into bios and getting 93c that quickly. so check the 4 thumb screws around the cpu :)
Bad contact with heat source would mean cooler not heating up at all and now one tube is getting hot.

Associate
OP
Hi all, just to give an update:

It was indeed a combination of pump failing and also one of the fans of the AIO was on its last legs and even lost some of its bearing balls! I replaced the the AIO with a a Ninja Scythe now and it is all good!

Back
Top Bottom