CPU overclock

Associate
I think I may have wasted 15 years of understanding - when you overclock a CPU, does RAM have any bearing on the overclock or stability?

I am reading all about RAM speeds, 8pack branded sticks etc. I am drawing the conclusion that faster RAM improves the speed of your computer, but there is no link the CPU overclock?!

Soldato
If you're talking about Ryzen, yes, it does respond to faster memory speeds. I believe it's partly to do with "infinity fabric" - the communication mechanism between cpu cores - running at ram frequency. The faster the cpu-cpu communication, the more efficient they will be at shared tasks.

Memory speed itself does not affect the ghz of the cpu, but it can make it a little bit faster per-clock by reducing bottlenecks so that less cycles are wasted waiting for data to arrive :)

Anecdotally, my old 2500k could either deliver 4.8ghz with 1600 ram, or 4.5 with 1866. The memory controller was barely able to keep up with the overclocked cpu; and if you wanted a really fast core speed, you had to cut the memory controller some slack. I don't know if Ryzen has the same issues at bleeding edge overclocks...

Associate
OP
This makes sense now. The last time I overclocked was with the Athlon 64 chips and I recall having to tweak the memory controller, and playing around with RAM. It is also coming back now! thanks

Back
Top Bottom