• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Overheating

Bry

Bry

Associate
Hi,

I built myself an i7 setup with a 2.66GHZ corei7, asus p6t se mobo akasa nero fan and an antec p192 case.

Today i decided to do some media encoding which has been the first time in a while i have stressed by CPU and my pc immediately shutdown no warnings.

Bit of investigation i found the CPU was hitting 85 degrees. I had a look and reseated the CPU fan.

Started backup into windows and seeing idle CPU temps of about 49 degrees.

Which look ok to me.

Fired up the media encoder again to have a look under load and CPU temps go up over the course of 30-60 seconds to 93 degress under about 80% cpu load. A further 10-30 seconds and CPU temps are hitting 100 where i promptly close media encoder and they fall back to about 49-51 degrees.

The motherboard temp doesn't go above 46 and idles at about 39 degrees.

There is plenty of airflow in the case and has been fine encoding numerous times before. I fired up a game just now and sure enough CPU temps skyrocket.

Anyone have any ideas?

Bry

Bry

Associate
OP
im going to try reseatting it again tonight with some new thermal paste. Failing that will try the stock intel cooler. Don't really know what else to try

Bry

Bry

Associate
OP
Well I have just reseated the fan, cleaned the old arctic silver 5 off and reapplied and while the temps are 1-2 degrees better it is still overheating.

Just ordered a Noctua NH-U12P so will see if that makes any difference

edit: sorry no it hasnt been overclocked at all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom