Cpu running at crazy temps

Soldato
Hi all, I turned on my computer this morning, it booted into windows fine and then the fans started spinning up to about 100%. I opened hwmonitor and the cpu is reporting idling at 95c!

I've got a 6700k being cooled by a Kraken x52 aio. First thing I tried was restoring bios defaults, then I reseated the cpu and reapplied thermal compound, yet it's still idling at over 90c. The fans are spinning on the cooler and the case. Can anyone recommend anything else I can try or does it sound like a faulty component?

Man of Honour
I'd confirm the temperature by checking the cooling components, if your CPU is 95c then your waterblock + surrounding tubing will be roasting too. If they're not, it could point to a sensor issue. Any recent motherboard upgrades/firmware upgrades?

If you confirm the temperature is actually 95c by feeling for heat then check further for vibration coming from your pump. If you can't hear it/feel it on, it probably isn't!

Soldato
Broken pump unless...
- Cooling block's attaching failed
- Something blocked cooling liquid/waterflow
- There's puddle of cooling liquid in bottom of case.

Water cooling works only as long as that water keeps flowing and transporting heat from block to radiator.
Without that it looses basically all cooling capability.
(that's why heatpipes were developed)

Soldato
OP
Pump rpm is showing as 0 rpm in cam software. Is there a bios setting that would have turned off the pump or is it likely to be a fault with the x52? I've got an Asus z170 maximus hero 8 mobo.

The water pump is also showing as n/a in the monitoring section of the bios. I presume this all means the pump has broken?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well fortunately I got an asetek 570xl when I bought the 6700k bundle from here in December and after installing that cpu temps are at 27c idle. Time to rma the x52.

Back
Top Bottom