CPU running Extremely hot

Associate
Hi,

My CPU is running at 100°c, i reached out to the company I brought it from and they suggested that as it was 2.5yrs old that maybe the AIO pump had given up and that was most likely causing the temperature increase as I had had no issues at all on the 2.5yrs and then all of a sudden this.

So I replace the AIO cooler, and still no better, any advice would be appreciated. This is my first computer and I don't know where to go from here.

This is the pc specs:
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-11700 (2.5GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
GIGABYTE B560M DS3H (rev. 1.0) : LGA1200, DDR4, USB 3.2
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 1880 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
AIO Cooler Corsair H60x elite 120mm

Man of Honour
When is the CPU hitting 100c?

What are you using to monitor it?

If the CPU is permanently 100c then the only reasonable conclusion unless you have some crypto virus mining with your CPU is that your cooler mount is wrongly fitted/broken and not making contact with the CPU properly.

Associate
OP
@Prof_Cookie50 all looks okay to me.
does the radiator get hot when the cpu is at 100c?
The radiator doesn't get hot but the block over the CPU gets warm.
Here is the HW monitor screenshot. Of it being idle.

Associate
OP
When is the CPU hitting 100c?

What are you using to monitor it?

If the CPU is permanently 100c then the only reasonable conclusion unless you have some crypto virus mining with your CPU is that your cooler mount is wrongly fitted/broken and not making contact with the CPU properly.
CPU is hitting 100 idle, and I'm using HW monitor to monitor it.

I believe the cooler to be mounted correctly and making sufficient contact with the CPU.

Man of Honour
CPU is hitting 100 idle, and I'm using HW monitor to monitor it.

I believe the cooler to be mounted correctly and making sufficient contact with the CPU.

If it hits 100 when idle the cooler mount is pretty much always the issue, assuming your cooler is functional and the pump/fans are working.

The only other point of failure is the IHS making contact with the die and I'm pretty sure these are soldered.

Associate
OP
If it hits 100 when idle the cooler mount is pretty much always the issue, assuming your cooler is functional and the pump/fans are working.

The only other point of failure is the IHS making contact with the die and I'm pretty sure these are soldered.
The pump should be working correctly and I can see the fans are running.

I am not sure what the IHS making contact with the die is.

When installing the new cooler I followed the instructions and used the correct spacers etc. for the CPU bracket I have.

Man of Honour
Of it being idle.
definitely idle in task manager? (sorry not teaching you to suck eggs, just making sure_

The radiator doesn't get hot but the block over the CPU gets warm.
is the radiator exhausting warm air or cold air?

looks to be proper throttled. vcore 0.6v eeeek

Man of Honour
I am not sure what the IHS making contact with the die is.
The IHS is the metal heat spreader on top of the CPU that the heatsink makes contact with, the CPU die is underneath the IHS. Some CPUs use thermal paste between the heat spreader and the die, but I believe these CPUs are soldered, so they don't use Intel's thermal gunk.

When installing the new cooler I followed the instructions and used the correct spacers etc. for the CPU bracket I have.
If the cooler is installed properly and functional then there's no other explanation I can think of for it hitting 100c. Most coolers have enough passive cooling that when the CPU is completely idle they don't throttle even if the pump/fans aren't working.

Man of Honour
your tmpin values make me think it is not a cpu load issue (ie the CPU voltage regulators are not loaded hence why the mobo is cool)
which only leaves a bad cooler mount, a failed pump/fan header
as tetras says, the IHS is soldered on, so unlikely to be the cause (an uncontrolled solder spliting would've damaged the cores)

Soldato
The only other thing I can think of is a failed sensor, but I've only seen that once (it was ages ago) and in hwmonitor the cores are reading different values which suggests it isn't just the one sensor reading 100c.

I was about to suggest this. It seems that one sensor has failed. The question now, is that reading causing any throttling? affecting performance? or affecting the cooling fan speeds? If not, they you can ignore it.

Associate
OP
definitely idle in task manager? (sorry not teaching you to suck eggs, just making sure_

is the radiator exhausting warm air or cold air?

looks to be proper throttled. vcore 0.6v eeeek
Tbh, you are far more an expert on this than me so I would rather cover everything basic just to make sure.

The air out the exhaust is cold air.

No idea what the vcore is

Associate
OP
I was about to suggest this. It seems that one sensor has failed. The question now, is that reading causing any throttling? affecting performance? or affecting the cooling fan speeds? If not, they you can ignore it.
The only other thing I can think of is a failed sensor, but I've only seen that once (it was ages ago) and in hwmonitor the cores are reading different values which suggests it isn't just the one sensor reading 100c.
How would I be able to test this to see? And I could manually set the BIOS to put all fans on max to see if the CPU still clocks 100°c
your tmpin values make me think it is not a cpu load issue (ie the CPU voltage regulators are not loaded hence why the mobo is cool)
which only leaves a bad cooler mount, a failed pump/fan header
as tetras says, the IHS is soldered on, so unlikely to be the cause (an uncontrolled solder spliting would've damaged the cores)

Should I see about a replacement cooler to double check it didn't get delivered dead on arrival? Or is there a way to tell?

Man of Honour
How would I be able to test this to see? And I could manually set the BIOS to put all fans on max to see if the CPU still clocks 100°c
Not really possible to test that yourself, you'd have to take the heat spreader off and that's a very bad idea with a soldered CPU.

The only thing you can do is to use multiple programs (like hwinfo, hwmonitor, Intel's XTU) and check the BIOS readings against the CPU's readings.

Since the cores are reading different values I don't think it is likely that the sensor is the problem here, but I suppose there's no harm in checking.

Back
Top Bottom