• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hey all,
I just recently upgraded my xfx rx 5700 xt to a sapphire rx 6800 xt, I also upgraded my storage and treated my gen 3 ryzen 7 3700x cpu to a new aio cooler. It wasn't the most expensive aio if I'm honest (jonsbo TW2-360 pro aio cooler) but it was to replace the amd rgb wraith cooler that originally came with cpu. To note my MB is a msi x570-a pro.
Everything was fine at first after install, the new gpu is great and operates as it should.
And the cpu was fine operating at 30 degrees at idle and only hitting 40's in games. So initially great, the aio cooler is working sweet. But today with switching the pc on, my cpu idle temp is 45 with only being at 2% utilisation. I've had the pc on for a good couple of hours now with it just on idle and it's still sitting at 45 degrees.
Would there be a reason why the idle temp has increased so much? It seems the aio cooler is working as the temp hasn't increased within the time being on.
Room temp is about 15 degrees currently but the room temp was higher when the cpu first had lower temps after the aio cooler was installed.
When installing the aio cooler, I carefully removed the wraith cooler. I cleaned off the existing compound from the cpu with alcohol wipes, waited a min or two to ensure top of cpu wasn't damp etc from the wipes. I then put a grid of 3x3 dots of new compound to the cpu and then using a small spade, evenly spread the compound across the cpu. Which then I fitted the aio cpu block to the cpu.
At first I thought maybe the new aio cooler was faulty or just not up to it, but considering the temp hasn't increased since being on. It seems the aio cooler is working, so there must be another factor to why my cpu is running 15 degrees hotter on idle?

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe you have a background process that's triggering the CPU boost, have you checked task manager to see what programs are running?

What's the temps topping out at when you put the CPU under load?.

Associate
OP
Hi, I ran a 2 hour stress test and cpu temp maxed at 65 degrees.

Though I did notice that the manufacturer of the aio cooler, had the radiator fans blowing air out through the radiator.
I noticed this as the temp drop when I removed the side glass panel. Like within a minute it went from 45 to 38.
I have since changed direction of the radiator fans and it has now been running at 34 idle and 62 under load.

Soldato
Hi, I ran a 2 hour stress test and cpu temp maxed at 65 degrees.

Though I did notice that the manufacturer of the aio cooler, had the radiator fans blowing air out through the radiator.
I noticed this as the temp drop when I removed the side glass panel. Like within a minute it went from 45 to 38.
I have since changed direction of the radiator fans and it has now been running at 34 idle and 62 under load.

does that mean the fans are now dumping hot air from rad into the case?

Associate
OP
When you say it like that, yes I guess they now are?
But having the fans the other way means they're blowing warm case air at the radiator and not drawing the cooler air from outside the case through the radiator.
The cpu temp was much higher with fans going out then it is now with fans going in.
But now you also have me questioning whether this is correct. Though tbh, I wouldn't put the fan direction back to as it was considering it runs hotter that way!

Soldato
how high temps are we talking about here? my 5600x is currently doing video encoding and sitting at 84c non stop overnight. no crashes or errors since its throttle point is 95c so can pretty much sit up there 24/7.

Associate
OP
Seems your not understanding my point. Previously I had a amd rgb wraith cooler and my idle temp was about 36 degrees.
After fitting the aio cooler and putting side and front panels back on my idle temp was 45 degrees. My cpu with the new aio cooler should be running a little cooler than it was with the amd cooler. Well that was the intention of replacing the cooler in first place.
I don't stress my cpu too much to be fair, I only use my pc for gaming mainly. But when your idle temp is higher than it was previously then obviously makes you question if the the new cooler was installed correctly, is the pump working correctly, is the cpu block dispersing the heat correctly?

Associate
Seems your not understanding my point. Previously I had a amd rgb wraith cooler and my idle temp was about 36 degrees.
After fitting the aio cooler and putting side and front panels back on my idle temp was 45 degrees. My cpu with the new aio cooler should be running a little cooler than it was with the amd cooler. Well that was the intention of replacing the cooler in first place.
I don't stress my cpu too much to be fair, I only use my pc for gaming mainly. But when your idle temp is higher than it was previously then obviously makes you question if the the new cooler was installed correctly, is the pump working correctly, is the cpu block dispersing the heat correctly?

Just because the AIO cost more than the wraith dont expect more from it but what you will gain is a lot less noise run the fans at the lowest speed you can

you also have to work in your existing case fans and how the air moves around the case adding the aio will have completly changed this

chances are the sapphire nitro is a lot bigger than your old rx5700 I know mine was twice the size nearly this will also affect airflow

Associate
OP
Just because the AIO cost more than the wraith dont expect more from it but what you will gain is a lot less noise run the fans at the lowest speed you can

you also have to work in your existing case fans and how the air moves around the case adding the aio will have completly changed this

chances are the sapphire nitro is a lot bigger than your old rx5700 I know mine was twice the size nearly this will also affect airflow

I did replace and change the direction of one case fan when replacing the aio cooler.

I have 10 case fans in total, before I had 7 in and 3 out. The bottom, rear and side all being in with the top fans being out. My science to this was, my pc sits on the floor and the coolest part of the room is the floor. So made sense to pull the cooler air from the lower part of the case. Then as heat rises it made sense to naturally exhaust the heat through the top of the case. This seem to work pretty well.

With installing the aio cooler, I also replaced the rear fan for a more powerful fan. As previously mentioned, I assumed the aio radiator fans would be pulling air in through the radiator from outside the case. With thinking this my fans would all then be directed in, so I needed to have atleast one fan on a higher rpm to exhaust the heat for the case.

My rx 5700 xt is actually a similar size to the rx 6800 xt.
The rx 5700 xt is a xfx thicc iii ultra.

Associate
thats a lot of fans but each to his own

to be honest you would proberly get the same results with only the aio in and two fans out

Associate
OP
I'm aware it maybe doesn't need so many case fans, but. It looks cool with them all being rgb.
Plus running 6 fans on a slightly lower rpm is quieter than running 3 fans as normal.

Associate
OP
This is currently my set up
h7gHnM0

h7gHnM0

Soldato
It’s a gaming system. Running just the CPU at an unrealistic load isn’t going to achieve anything.

yes it will, it will make sure he knows what his true peak temps can be and tune his cooling to handle it. and who knows maybe games come out in future that hammer the cpu harder then he is gonna end up with overheat situation etc.

Soldato
I did replace and change the direction of one case fan when replacing the aio cooler.

I have 10 case fans in total, before I had 7 in and 3 out. The bottom, rear and side all being in with the top fans being out. My science to this was, my pc sits on the floor and the coolest part of the room is the floor. So made sense to pull the cooler air from the lower part of the case. Then as heat rises it made sense to naturally exhaust the heat through the top of the case. This seem to work pretty well.

With installing the aio cooler, I also replaced the rear fan for a more powerful fan. As previously mentioned, I assumed the aio radiator fans would be pulling air in through the radiator from outside the case. With thinking this my fans would all then be directed in, so I needed to have atleast one fan on a higher rpm to exhaust the heat for the case.

My rx 5700 xt is actually a similar size to the rx 6800 xt.
The rx 5700 xt is a xfx thicc iii ultra.

This is currently my set up
h7gHnM0

h7gHnM0

Based on the images and what you said, if the fans on the radiator is now pulling in instead of out, I would be tempted to flip the rear fan and the side fans as an exhaust. You have a lot of positive pressure building in the case.

Back
Top Bottom