CPU temperature help

Associate
Hey, I'm new here and come in search of some answers. Hopefully you guys can help me out and put my mind at rest.

I have Intel core 2 duo, E7400 It was over-clocked to 3.8. Which was for about 1-2 months. When I was playing TF2 a few days ago, I noticed my CPU fan kicked into full speed, this should only happen when my core temps hit 50c. I closed it down and checked it with speed-fan, and noticed the core was nearly hitting 60c. I crapped it and reset my CPU clock to stock speeds. The core temps never reached 47c before.

Also, I noticed my idle temps increased as well, around the 30c mark, this is running at stock speeds as well

I ripped my PC apart the other day, and cleaned everything. Replaced my thermal paste (AC MX-2) and cleaned out my cooler (Titan TTC-NK85TZ).

After boot up. my CPU temp were at 20-22 idle and my core temp was at 32. Which I was pleased with, I thought my trouble was solved.
But in game (TF2, L4D) My core temp reaches 50-55c. Even though the CPU runs at 25-35c

Here are two screens.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2a4y2x.jpg
That's in game, with my temps on the right.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2aafwxi.jpg
That was this afternoon, idle

The thing that bugs me the most, Is how my CPU temp is at 33 in game and my core is at 53. Even though each core, being core1 and core2 be at 40?
How can the temperature be 20c warmer inside the processor?
Could I have damaged my CPU?

Associate
i don't know much about intels but i would suggest using something better than speedfan like
Coretemp or Realtemp and see if the temp is the same as i known in the past speedfan can give bad readings :S i hope this helps

Associate
On speedfan i thought the 'core' temp didn't always directly relate to the cpu. When i used speedfan it seemed as if the 1st temp related to the temp of the southbridge on the motherboard.
My 'core' temp was a lot higher than the cores of my cpu, but after getting a case with a large side fan the 'core' temp value greatly dropped.
Try touching each of the northbridge and southbridge coolers, if one seems quite hot you could direct a fan at it and see if this helps reduce the 'core' temp.

Associate
OP
The northbridge is pretty warm actually, I need to get a replacement fan for the northbridge, the stock cooler is really bad. Its the evga 750i.

I removed it for awhile, because of the noise and the fact that it blows warm air on to my GPU. I'll get a 60mm fan from overclockers tomorrow, and hopefully get some more powerful 120mm fans while Im there.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom