• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU temps high, remounting cooler and noticed something...

Associate
2600K air cooled with Thermalright heatsink/fan, finally got around to having a go at overclocking it.
Temps up to 90+ Degrees Running OCCT stress test so something not right.

Cleaned off TIM and I noticed a 'dink' in the heat spreader which matched up with one on the heatsink plate.
Can feel it with a fingernail, could even say its a small gouge.

Thinking the way forward is to Lap the CPU and the heatsink plate, what do you guys think?

Thanks. :)

Associate
Did something other than paste get between the cpu and heats ink?
Like a bit of sand or something?

You could lap both if you can be bothered.

Unless something is sticking out preventing contact I doubt this will make any real difference to temperatures. This dink didn't just happen, it was almost definitely there when you built the system.

I wouldn't bother with lapping, just clean and replace Tim.

Soldato
How did you re seat the cooler? when tightening the cooler up did you go round from each corner or did you start in one corner then do the opposite corner and the same for the other two?

did you check the fan\cooler for dust build up and what method did you use to apply the paste, how much did you use?

what case are you using? does it have good air flow? if not check case fans as well etc

sorry for all the questions! lol

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the questions ED!

* Fan/cooler was dust free (took Henry to it)
* Used pea/grain of rice method
* Case has reasonably good cooling..its a generic Antec, not sure which.
Airflow has ben worked out, should be sucking it through the CPU heatsink and out the back of the case. All fans are dust free.

Is there a "best practice" way of remounting the heatsink?
I think I just went corner to corner in a circle?
Opposite corner a better way?

Will do an allover check of airflow again, but given the gouge on the CPU heat spreader and underside of the heatsink is pretty dep, I'll lapp it and see what happens.

Least that way I know its not the gouge.
Its a 2600K so no chance of de lidding it as it's soldered and I dont want to go there! :)

Post back after its Lapped and remounted with new TIM etc.

Thanks again.

Soldato
When tightening the cooler your meant to start at one corner then do the opposite corner then the same on the other two to make sure the cooler sits properly and has decent contact with the CPU.

If you went round from each corner in a circle I would try and re seat the cooler again as the cooler may not be sitting correctly which is why your getting high temps.

If im not too clear on what i mean watch this video and start from 5 mins 15 seconds and you will see him tightening the cpu cooler to the mobo in this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n47WBQI31eE

Last edited:
Associate
i lapped my 2500k as it had poor contact with the heatsink, tbh the heatspreader was aweful. temps dropped 5 or 6c and much more even across the cores.

Associate
OP
Wee update:

Lapped both the CPU and the heatsink plate and sat back, turned on the power button and crossed my fingers...

Beforehand, ran OCCT and within a couple of minutes temps went to 90+ degrees.
After lapping and remounting the heatsink realised there was very obviously something wrong before.

Ran OCCT for over half an hour and temps maxed out at 71 degrees..not 90+
Very big result.

Phew, my 2600K isn't a duffer....lets see how far I can push it.
Any good sandybridge overclocking guides out there guys?

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
A few bits on that first link are wrong. That was posted when they very first came out.

Intel say the volts can go to 1.4 (I memory serves) and you can also clock with the blck but only a small amount. It would cause any damage. I had mine at 105 for well over a year.

Just start with changing the multiplier then when it crashes up the volts a wee bit

Associate
OP
Been overclocking today :)

Due to my less than brilliant cooling, for now Ive stopped at 4.3Ghz.
Stock volts for my chip was 1.26, bumped it up to 1.28 to get it stable at 4.3Ghz.

Idle temp is around 35, full load using Intel Burntest (standard) maxes iout at 79 on one of the cores.
OCCT temps run cooler, around mid 60s

Lapping the chip and heatsink made ALL the difference.

Associate
It depends on the application really, in cpu intensive games it could mean the difference between 55fps and 60, my advice would be (for any cpu overclock) to get a good cooler rather than what will 'do the job'.

Associate
OP
Think I'll invest in a better air cooler to help me get *comfortably* up to 4.5+ Ghz...
Thinking the Noctua D-15 might be a good shout?
Anything better out there, dont want watercooling...

Really notice the improved responsiveness now running at 4.3Ghz, its great.
Big 3D models and assemblies in Cad can be worked on much faster as there's now no lag panning/zooming around the model.
Good Stuff.

My 16GB Corsair Vengence Rams at 9-9-9-24 1T 1600Mhz, could POSSIBLY get it up to 1800 but not sure I'd notice much difference?

Thinking with my overclocked GTx970 and the 2600K @ 4.5+ I'd be good for a while yet?
Mostly a work machine (digital painting, Adobe, 3D modelling and rendering) but also enjoy the odd game like Project Cars, Alien Isolation, The Evil Within and (looking forward to) Resident Evil 7 Biohazard.

Always happy to keep the upgrades at bay for as long as possible! :)
Any comments appreciated as always.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
I noticed I had to pump more volts into the CPU for less improvement...that's when the heat started becoming an issue.

Will look again and bumping it up when I have better cooling sorted.
The things blazing fast compared to how it was at 3.4Ghz stock, so all good.

Always good to get more speed of course, be good to put the upgrades off for as long as possible!

Back
Top Bottom